IGNORED

#1590 on craigslist

Terrapin Z

Funny, I was just thinking about posting about this one too. I think I saw this car listed on CL for much less a month or two ago. The seller must have pulled the ad and relisted. The "does have cancer on the pillars and the rear hatch mating surface is rusted" sounds like it could be worrisome though.

-Mike

Seems a little much to me. I paid $1800 for #1366 with almost no rust (found 4 pinholes on the driver's side dogleg during frame off, replaced both sides just to be safe). I've got at least $12,000 into it and quite a bit more to purchase to make it perfect. Not sure you could restore it and "turn a profit" but it would be a shame to see it rust away or get parted out.

I guess what I am say is there are better out there, just keep looking.

Seems a little much to me. I paid $1800 for #1366 with almost no rust (found 4 pinholes on the driver's side dogleg during frame off' date=' replaced both sides just to be safe). I've got at least $12,000 into it and quite a bit more to purchase to make it perfect. Not sure you could restore it and "turn a profit" but it would be a shame to see it rust away or get parted out.

I guess what I am say is there are better out there, just keep looking.[/quote']

Johnny, You got a steal! Almost no rust? 240Zs manufacured in January of 1970 are the closest thing to a '69 production year 240Z. Since the '69 cars are getting harder and harder to find (and more and more expensive), the triple-digit VIN and the slightly higher numbered cars made in January of '70 are becoming very desirable (in reality, all Series I cars are desirable, but the lower the number the better).

$2,500.00 OBO is what the seller of the subject car is asking. If the car were anywhere near me, I would definitely need to see the car in person, but if it checks out as advertised, I'd probably offer close to $2k for the car.

Edited by lonetreesteve

Steve, He'd probably take the 2K and if you knew welding it it would sweeten the deal.

I know of a local Series 1 (05/70) that I can get for $600 tomorrow. I would say that based on the description in WA the one here is in about the same condition. I am thinking about buying it for the drivers side door hinge and exhaust down pipe, the rest would get parted out. Almost all original parts on it including alternator, SUs, E31, Vertical defrost, clear glass, original spare tire (rim is rusted to all hell, not sure if tire is shot), etc.

The problem I see here is that experienced Z restorers probably won't buy it. It will probably be an anxious newby that would end up biting off more than they could chew.

If you want the Z up here I can line it up. You are only about 15 hours away. Only problem is I-80 through Nebraska has to be the worst drive in the country.

Johnny, For quite some time I've been checking the Phoenix Craigslist for a Series I car. That's where I found my current '71 Series II project which after stripping the paint, ended up being the most solid, rust-free/accident-free 240Z that I have ever seen. An unbelievable find with a numbers-matching, freshly-rebuilt drive train. However, I have never owned a Series I and I really want to find a solid one that runs strong with as little rust as possible and like my current project, just needs the exterior and interior refreshed. That way, I can keep the purchase price affordable.

Steve,

Yeah, I've seen quite a few nice ones in the bay area of California. I actually got mine from San Jose. Sight unseen off of craigslist. Sent the guy 200 to hold it and picked it up 2 weeks later. A little risky but I asked the right questions and didnt send money until I was comfortable. I'd have to say that he was more uncomfortable with me being long distance than I was with not seeing the car. I just knew it was the right car.

I got a 1 owner car with every reciept from day 1, no real surprises during stripdown most parts were there, dash is a 72, replaced in 84, original wheels, D caps, radio and emblems were all stolen in 88. He replaced the wheels with enkis and michelins and never drove it again. The tires had the new tire sticker on the tread still when I picked it up in 2008.

It was owned by a Japanese fellow named Kenoshi Itayama. According to his family he cherished the car. I had to convince the family that I was the right person to buy the car. I promised I would get it back to new. I'm almost done.

John

Johnny, I didn't realize that your Z was from California, no wonder it had hardly any rust! Yeah, Craigslist is a good place to find under-priced 240Zs. Since there are a lot more 240Zs in California than there are in Arizona (or anywhere else), perhaps I should also check the CA Craigslists as well. AZ and CA are probably the 2 best places to find low-rust Zs. Hopefully, I will finally find a Series I that meets my criteria.

Edited by lonetreesteve

Here's what I have so far. The vendor invited me to come see the car - that will not happen, but someone a little closer may find it worthwhile.

I requested shots of the standard trouble areas, but I am thinking this is over my head.

Happy New Years all.

post-9729-14150809446331_thumb.jpg

post-9729-14150809446711_thumb.jpg