IGNORED

Who am I?

gnosez

Do you know what this does and where it goes?

In more than 10 yrs of looking at Zs in car shows, junkyards and stripping them I have only come across 2 of these. Great idea and I wish I had more.

I believe I know why they go missing as well.....

post-7328-14150809421862_thumb.jpg

Not trying to be argumentative, but there is no piece that draws air into the fan from under the car. The opening faces the rear of the engine bay, and has no tube attached-nor are there any holes or markings to imply that one was intended. As I've not got mine with me, I can't take specific photos of the unit, but here is the FSM page detailing the aux blower. Note that there is no representation of a downward pointing air intake.

Perhaps it's different on a zxt... If so, I'll happily admit and accept my error.

post-11908-14150809423357_thumb.jpg

Just because the fsm doesn't have it doesn't mean it isn't there. There is a clamp that holds it to the inlet you mentioned, it is not screwed into the housing.

Drawing the air right next to the engine defeats the purpose of the cooling fan. That is why they used the above duct to get the air flow away the heat of the block.

Darrel, your logic is fair. It does seem true that the FSMs don't always cover everything, and something like this might have been overlooked (or not thought of) prior to printing.

As my car is a 79, and therefore obviously not a turbo model, I'll concede that you're correct-especially if this is a zxt specific part.

zbane, accepted.

If I didn't know exactly what the part was and where it was on the car I never would have posted. I know there are sutble differences throughout the range of z cars and will never know them all. If I don't recognize something, I may think to myself about where it might go, and may ask for others opinions, but I don't think I would definitely say it did or did not have it.

it's a wrap! ;-)