IGNORED

Z Specialties Brake upgrade kits

Rich1

It looks like a run-of-the-mill Toyota 4 piston caliper for use with a solid rotor, so yes the same which MSA sells. There are some other size calipers out there too for use with a vented rotor, which MSA sells as well as others, Modern Motorsports comes to mind.

Ideally, what you replace your stock brakes with would be as good as well serviced stock brakes or better by some measure. Brakes convert kinetic energy to heat so having larger calipers is only part of the equation. Lighter would be one measure of better. For instance, I discovered that Alfa Romeo GTV aluminum Brembo brakes had the same bolt spacing as my stock Porsche 914 caliper. As an added bonus, they were spaced for a vented rotor. Porsche is a master of economy so they use the same bearings and spindle size on the 911SC. So, I got lighter aluminum brakes and a vented rotor. Better on two counts, lighter and better at dissipating heat. As an added bonus I polished them so they are so sexy people oooh and ahhhh over them all the time. See the picture below. These weigh 4# per side less than the factory calipers! 8# of unsprung weight!!!

Has anyone really searched to see what else had the same mounting bolt spacing and could use a vented rotor that would also fit?

This would be an improvement worthy of arguing with the original engineers. I recall an engineer from Lockheed-Martin that used to post to the old IZCC email list saying words to the effect - arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a while your covered in mud and you realize the pig loves it. Bottom line is this; if you cannot measurably improve on the braking - stick with well serviced stock brakes. They were engineered by the factory and should be just fine with a set of really good pads.

post-16545-14150809424344_thumb.jpg

Edited by conedodger

Has anyone really searched to see what else had the same mounting bolt spacing and could use a vented rotor that would also fit?

Toyota S12/W caliper (late 1980s Toyota 4-Runner 4x4). Same bolt spacing as stock 240z calipers but requires a 1/2-in. machined spacer to align the 300zx (Z31) vented rotor in the correct position.

You can use Z32 (300zx) brake pads in this caliper if you trim two small tabs at the bottom of the pad. This helps in the selection of performance brake pads.

Edited by ktm