IGNORED

'72 240z Muffler recommendations?

dntpunchgrandpa

Arne, I also have been looking at available parts to build the stacked tip exhaust, but was missing the dual out separation spec on the Magnaflow 11148, thanks for sharing.

I believe the last company to offer this bolt on arrangement for a Z was Monza (Pacesetter) which no longer makes it, they do however still sell the slash cut resonator tips (see link) in various sizes, that as far as I can see in the pics, can be cut to length and welded on the Magnaflow 11148.

http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/tips.htm

Lots of sources for resonated tips. Since I don't want yellow on my red car, I've been looking at either Hooker or Hedman tips instead.

We talked about the lack of period exhausts a while back - http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34920

• 2 weeks later...
Lots of sources for resonated tips. Since I don't want yellow on my red car, I've been looking at either Hooker or Hedman tips instead.

We talked about the lack of period exhausts a while back - http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34920

Arne,

I appreciate your research on this subject. In lieu of finding a correct period exhaust, I also thought think it should be entirely possible to cobble together at least a period-looking (and sounding hopefully...) muffler by using a dual-outlet unit and slash-cut resonated tips. I'm particularly interested in what you end up with because I'd also like to use a Magnaflow muffler and use non-yellow tips for my non-yellow car...

Thanks again! :classic:

Just to clarify, here's my current plan. I will either re-use my current (modified) stock downpipe, or possibly buy one of the MSA replacements as shipped with their flanged system. Either way I'll start from there with a flange joint to a 2 1/4" pipe with an 18" glass-packed resonator in the transmission tunnel. Another flange joint near the rear crossmember, and into the 'S' pipe which will connect to the dual outlet Magnaflow (#11148). Will probably drive it for a week or two with temporary tips until the glass settles a bit, then decide on either resonated or plain angle-cut tips, depending on the sound and noise level. Pipe will probably be aluminized and with normal (not mandrel) bends.

• 2 weeks later...