IGNORED

Super quick photo ID!

Kris.is.awesome

Allright, so I was digging through my bags of parts I got with my car- and I came across this.

I believe it's a replacement VR- maybe you guys can help.

It has the same plug, and bolts right up where the other one does.

So whatcha think? Is there a way to test it?

Original on left- new part on right.

l_e388f89c149149bf997110c7c467220d.jpg

l_7041cc310b7d439ab13d6abddbe938b8.jpg

Yeah, that's what the VR from my '75 looked like (on the right). Your original part must be a solid state unit. It sort of looks like the difference between the old electromechanical VR in my Mustang and the solid state unit that replaced it.

Is the electrical connector the same? Same color codes in each connector position?

Yeah, that's what the VR from my '75 looked like (on the right). Your original part must be a solid state unit. It sort of looks like the difference between the old electromechanical VR in my Mustang and the solid state unit that replaced it.

Is the electrical connector the same? Same color codes in each connector position?

Pretty much, I think there may be a stripe or two difference, but almost down to the dot.

I'd say you can plug it in and try it. Your alternator should put out about 14.5V, give or take. If it does, then the VR is doing its job.

The electromechanical VR is the correct type, BTW, at least from a restorative point of view. The solid state VR is probably the better unit from a standpoint of functionality. Personally, I'd pretty-up the solid state one and use it, stashing away the electromechanical one for later use.

I'd say you can plug it in and try it. Your alternator should put out about 14.5V, give or take. If it does, then the VR is doing its job.

The electromechanical VR is the correct type, BTW, at least from a restorative point of view. The solid state VR is probably the better unit from a standpoint of functionality. Personally, I'd pretty-up the solid state one and use it, stashing away the electromechanical one for later use.

I was thinking the same- but one of the wires coming out of it is badly frayed- and needs to be re-connected.

I may try some surgery :D