IGNORED

Removing tape from 1yr old paint and stuff

Reverend

I recently got my first Z from States. Windows were secured with blue tape (very fragile tough) during transportation. So my problem is how to remove it without damaging paint. I've tried warm water and soap but results were poor.

Also im having a bit of a situation with emblems. Seems like the PO has closed almost all of the emblem pin holes whilst the car was painted. And i only got emblems with pins. So should i try to make those holes or just cut the pins off and glue them? If with glue, what kind of glue do you recommend?

Also i need to know how to locate exact position of hatch "240Z" and "DATSUN" emblems.

Sry for my noobnes.

You might try alcohol, rubbing alcohol first then grain alcohol, or if that doesn't work something stonger like laquer thinner, but be careful on the amount of time it is on or the pressure used.

On my mounting holes after painting I used jewlers broaches to open them up, it is like a tapered reamer, a small drill bit could cause chipping, be careful if you use it. The posts should have steel barrel clips on them to help hold them on. I also used a small dab silicone glue on each one just to be safe.

Remove the inner pannel and look in there for signs of the holes on the deck lid.

Bonzi Lon

Someone on here mentioned that they were using very thin magnetic paper material to put their emblems on with. They also said that it was because the car was being entered in cars shows, this probably would not work if you were driving the car.

I've used baby oil to remove adhesive on delicate surfaces.

More aggressive would be diesel fuel.

More aggressive still, gasoline or mineral spirits.

Then lacquer thinner.

None of these will damage a polymer finish (e.g. polyurethane). However, any of them will damage old-fashioned paint to a greater or lesser extent. If it's the old-fashioned stuff, I probably wouldn't use anything more aggressive than diesel oil.

Sorry but I beg to differ on Lacquer Thinner. It WILL damage most finishes, some immediately, some if left on for a while and others if you rub.

In this situation you're asking for at least the last two in order to remove the adhesive left behind, which would damage the paint. Additionally, you don't know what finish is on the car and to assume it's ok to use lacquer thinner....

Use Mineral Spirits, WD-40, 3-in-1 oil, Wax and Grease Remover, a good oil/grease cutting detergent, or the like, but anything that evaporates quickly has a SOLVENT in it which should be your absolutely LAST resort.

Don't get frustrated and therefore aggressive, even using a simple hair dryer on low setting might be enough to liven the adhesive enough to remove it.

Goof-off although you have to be very careful with it is good. The Orange oil compound mentioned will also work. Even the baby oil would work, but stay away from any fuel, solvent or flammable product until you've exhausted everything else.

But the key here is to start MILD and then work your way to strong.

FWIW

E