IGNORED

My 260Z brake rebuild

g9m3c

After the wonderful photos and great work from this post I had to add brake work to my list of "To Do" projects for 2010. Thanks for the great detailed post!

You're welcome! There will be a lot more as the project continues. :cool:

Just wish it wasn't so dang cold out....

• 2 weeks later...

which reminds me, I need to get back to advance and see about getting more orings or kits to complete the previous kits.

btw, any response from the parts supplier? Nothing from here.

I got 4 o-rings in the mail yesterday. ROFL

Email them again and if they don't get back to you, I can send you two of mine. :cool:

Email this guy: jchaya@dormanproducts.com

He's a product manager there and he's the one that responded to my original email.

Edited by g9m3c

I probably would have gotten some orings too, if I put my snail mail addy in the email. But since I pasted your email onto mine, they figured you would send them to me. :-D

I just wish they would have at least contacted me to get my addy.

I'll see if I can pull up the old email then send another one, this time with my street address.

Great thread so far. I am looking forward to your report on the rebuild of the calipers results. I am hoping for a good report!:)

Me too!

Haven't had a lot of time to work on it lately but I did get the front lines flushed out and the right front side torn down yesterday. Progress pics coming later on today.

BTW, I found a lot more gunk in this caliper than I did the other one. One passage in both sides of this caliper was completely blocked off with brown "gel." ...and to think I was driving it like this. :finger: I'm looking forward to feeling the upgraded brakes. :cool:

Edited by g9m3c

Howdy,

I'm in the middle of rebuilding my brakes with a kit from Dorman and had the same problem as the OP. I "borrowed" his email and tweaked it a bit:

Hello,

I recently purchased several Dorman brake components from RockAuto.com via the internet for my 1972 Datsun 240z. Two of my items, Tru-Torque kits; part # D35667, were missing some parts. These calipers require two seals between the caliper halves. They are square-cut O-rings. Both of the kits I received only contain one. I am a member of an online Z-Car forum, and members from AL and CO ordered 2 of the same kits in question around the time I ordered mine. They have noted that their kits were also missing the same piece mine were. From this listing on your website:

https://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-bin/vm91corp30r/item-dtl.w?sid=ViFcbOpjhVklcPdj013165759601666251&item=D35667&icrid=0x00a5ebd0&clt=hwrap1&vsrch_str=&vsrch_brand=&vsrch_cat=&st_amount=&end_amount=&start=&vfrom=&prev=&vnext=&category_list=:0

the members on the forum have noticed that there should, in fact, be two seals per kit (the smallest black O-rings in the center are the ones I am missing). I would like to receive the parts that are missing from my kits directly from you, as I feel that if I order two new kits, they will be missing the pieces, as well. I can provide you with proof of purchase, photos, or anything else you need to verify what I have stated.

One of the members, Grant Hollingsworth, has indicated in this discussion thread:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36846&page=2

that he was sent the correct set of 4 seals. I would like to see if it is possible for the same to be done on my behalf? I use Dorman products exclusively when they are available, and for this task, I have purchased 4 pistons, caliper guide bolts and rebuild kits - All Dorman products.

I anticipate your reply to help resolve this problem.

Regards,

Jay Blair

Here is what I got back in about 2 days:

Jay,

I'll order the kits in and look at them if they're ok I'll send them to you.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for using our products.

Jim Squiccimara

Dorman Products

Asst. Product Manager/Tech Services

And about 1 week after that:

Jay,

I got all your parts. I'm sending you 2 of each part number that was in the kit.

Here is your tracking number for UPS

1Z254682039374XXXX

Jim Squiccimara

Dorman Products

Pretty good customer service.

Jay

Sounds good! Glad to see they are continuing the great service. Surely, after receiving basically the same inquiry from three people with 3 different suppliers, they will recognize the problem and start putting 4 in each kit. ;)

OK, I went ahead and wrote my own email and only relied on the part numbers to cut and paste. The last email i sent them with my street addy was on the 15th. So maybe 10 days wasn't enough time to have him look into the problem. Nothing in the mail today.

Darrel,

For what it is worth, I edited my exchanges with him but, the Dorman guy (Jim) sent me emails pretty regularly. My back and forth with him has 10 emails (5 from me, 5 from him).

I would say that if you have not heard anything from them, you should keep pinging them.

Jay