IGNORED

Easiest way to remove tacho from '72 240Z?

alhbln

If there's a way to get the tachometer and speedometer out past a full dash cap, I'd like to know!

It can't be done with a full dash cap without damaging the cap. That's why the glove box and the heater control panel need to be removed in order to remove or install the tach and/or the speedometer from the rear.

I recently pulled my tach from the front-just the 2 wing nuts, which I loosened with lineman's pliers. There is enough wire length to disconnect the harness from the front hole after you pull it. Getting the nuts back on may be a bit more difficult.

• 8 years later...

I'm going on what I've read. It appears that the speedo has two wing nuts that are accessed from under the dash. One wingnut on the top, one on the bottom. It's been reported that they can be difficult to crack them loose. After removing the wingnuts and disconnecting the wiring, the speedo pulls out from the front. If you have a dash cap it will be difficult to get the speedo out but it's possible. Good luck.