IGNORED

Having trouble getting tank and filler to line up.

Richard Oben

Working on 9070 and am finally putting the original tank (great shape) back in the car. I can not get the filler neck to move hardly at all. It it not flexible enough to be pulled over the tank. I has not been removed from the car at all during the restoration. I spent about an hour yesterday with various tools trying to get the two to line up.

Can the filler neck be moved so I can move it up and then put it back when the tank is where it belong?

Should I heat it and see if it will move? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers Richard.

Working on 9070 and am finally putting the original tank (great shape) back in the car. I can not get the filler neck to move hardly at all. It it not flexible enough to be pulled over the tank. I has not been removed from the car at all during the restoration. I spent about an hour yesterday with various tools trying to get the two to line up.

Can the filler neck be moved so I can move it up and then put it back when the tank is where it belong?

Should I heat it and see if it will move? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers Richard.

I would definately buy a new filler neck. It comes with rubber seal ring.

CALL MSA ! It is only around $90.

Esprist

www.jdm-car-parts.com

There is a gasket that holds the filler neck to the bottom of the side panel plenum and then the upper ring is held to the filler cup with the gas cap ring. Both of those need to be addressed before you can get it to move up. Side to side movement will be severely constrained (and be careful of any movement as you can stress/crack the tube) due to the edges of the lower panel opening.

Remove the gas cap ring entirely. The lower "clamp" only needs to be unfastened but not removed from around the filler neck.

As far as heat, be careful, ANY kind of spark will ignite the vapors in the tank and no, I'm not being overly paranoid. My heat gun puts out 1500 watts and even a stray piece of dust will quickly "flame out" in that kind of heat. While you will be moving it back and forth and not staying in any one position, you might just get a small dust flame and ...

Keep the tank away from that area while you heat the neck. While you're at it, examine it for any kind of cracks or signs of old age... $90 isn't too much to spend to be safe.

FWIW

E

Escanlon, no paranoia involved. The tank has been empty for years, so no worries about vapor.

I have the filler screws out on the upper and the lower clamp is also off. It will not move in the mounts.

As to a new one, it is really in excellent shape the car was a south texas car and almost everything we have worked on has been in amazing shape.

Thanks for all the help, I will let you know later today how it goes. Giving my shoulder a rest after fighting again this morning. Cheers Richard.

Richard, I'd still consider replacing it, despite it's apparent good condition. I recently replaced the original on my '71, only because the top flange was so crushed that the gas cap ring would no longer seal and gas would slosh out if I turned left turn with the tank full.

The key issue is that while I felt that the original was not bad other than the top flange, I was amazed at how soft and flexible the new replacement was. If yours is stiff and hard, I'd guess that it will be hard to get it to seal well.

I got mine from my local dealer, part #17208-N3050, price after club discount was less than $80.

Going to order one in the morning.

Did get the rest of the work I was trying to get done today done. Intake and carbs and exhaust are on. Water pump tomorrow as well as some other little stuff. Hoping for a first start late next week. Body shop has the rest of the panels painted but I wanted to make sure it ran before I put the fenders on. Darn things are so thin I do not want to damage them. Thanks for all the help.

On a side note, I come to this site every time I do anything on the car. It is my 4 th Z but the knowledge here is above and beyond anything in any book or my head. Thanks again for all the information and the willingness to share it. Cheers Richard.

Yep, you're not wrong. The original one on my 70 was like rock, the 73 one I have is like soft rock and the new one almost makes you think that they are too soft.

Did you buy a new vent tubes while you were there?

Edited by 240znz