IGNORED

Jumping in with 2

ArnieTX

Thanks fellows. I will make sure to check them out.

Jumping onto Oprah's couch: :)

You know, this experience so far as been awesome. I've never been much of a tool guy and "square" is a term never associated with anything I've built out of wood. I never liked building or working on most things because I suck at it and I would get frustrated easily when it didn't come out right. 99% of the "stuff"(around the house) I was trying to do was already outside my current skillsets and not having the right tools made the effort seem hopeless. But my Z's are different. Everyone here knows what I'm talking about. It's not a chore or a PITA to work on my Z's. I love it. And I'm enjoying the process of learning more about my cars and the different types of tools that come in handy when I'm working them. IT"S INTERESTING and I want to do it!

I read Arne's(the other one :) ) blog last night about his Z's and how he approached it from the beginning. How he plodded along fixing and improving his Z instead of tearing it apart right away. I dind't follow that approach with Car #1 because I wasn't sure that about the condition. The more I peeled the onion back on it and #2, the more my eyes burned. Car #3 isn't perfect, but it leaps and bounds ahead of #1 and #2. It just doesn't have the rust that the others have. A lot of folks on here suggested that route. I now have a car that can go that direction. Besides, Arne wrote that if you take them apart a little at a time and put them back together a little at a time, eventually you will know how the thing goes back together whole. I could have easily been one of those dudes that tears into a car and takes it apart only to give up because I couldn't put it back together. :) Fortunately, I have Car #2 which is unmolested so I can step off the plank with a little more confidence.... and if I can't get it done while having an idetical puzzle 15' away, somebody shoot me.

Jumping off Oprah's couch: :)

There are a lot of wise and knowledgable folks on this board and I appreciate every little tidbit shared. Hopefully one day I can give a little back.

Later

the worse thing you can do is not think, so what if you brake a part you just get a replacement, remember you have a salvage yard now :) I also hope this is a family thing now, it is not like house work this is fun work and your kids will be able to fix their cars as they get older and many experiences I'd like to pass on when I have a family of my own. Right now my car is what keeps me from going crazy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys

I'll be getting some time this week to mess around with my Z. I need to install one of the metal fuel lines that runs the length of the car. I've been thinking about this though. To eliminate any issues related to the old system, issues like junk debris, etc flowing into my new Z Therapy carbs, what if I put the intake and carbs back together and tried to get the car running out of a gas can? This would eliminate the chances of hosing up my carbs from a rotten fuel system. If I can get it started like this then I will know it's good to go after I stick my lines and tank back in. If I just wait until my lines and tank are in to try to start it and it doesn't run, then I won't be sure if it's something else besides carbs. + I'm not even sure this motor is good so if I could get it running I could run a quick compression check once it's warm.

Just thinking. I couldn't find any threads on running an engine on an external temporary tank. Does anyone know of one or have any advice on how to accomplish this?

Thanks

Hi Arnie, you can simply run a length of fuel line from the input side of the fuel filter into a small gas can. I've also filled an empty vegetable can with gas and used that as an external "gas tank". Be careful, though, you don't want to spill any gas and create a fire hazard. Keep a fire extinguisher at hand, preferably a CO2 type.

Have you inspected the inside of the gas tank? If it appears to be rust free, you might be able to clean it out by pouring in a small amount of gas, then removing the drain plug at the bottom of the tank to drain out any debris. Disconnect the hard line at both ends and blow compressed air through it to blow out any debris in the line. You might want to tie wrap a rag over the other end to keep any junk from splattering all over.

Hope this helps!

Just run carb or brake cleaner through all the hard and fuel lines, check the catch can for any debris, then dry out with compressed air.

If anything there might be varnish or dust in the tank. You should drop the tank if you haven't already and check inside. Then replace all the vent hoses as you're reinstalling the tank.

Hey Joe, sounds like your hard at it again. Did you pull the pan on the motor? I bought an old ford pick up a few years ago. It had been setting at a auto repair shop for a while. The truck started up and drove around the block fine, the oil was clean, but when I was driving it back on the expressway all hell broke loose. Apparently a glob of old oil was floating around in the oil pan and finally got sucked into the oil pick up. No oil, no motor!

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had some time to jump back into my cars. Fractured my wrist 3 weeks ago so it's slow going.

Car # 3 is still the cleanest body out of all of them. I found a little more rust but nothing too bad to tackle. I've been studying it looking at what it needs to get it running and have decided that it needs way too much. It was a parts car so a lot of wires were just snipped and a lot of little things are missing.

So, it's on to car #2. It's a complete car minus a gas tank. It needs floors like the rest of them but at this stage I want to get something running. Since it's a complete car, I've decided to push forward to get SOMETHING running so I can have a little fun. Tonight I installed my brand new carbs from Z therapy. I'll change the oil in it next chance I get, buy a new battery and see if she will crank. If she cranks I'm going to run some external fuel lines to a small gas tank to see if it will run. If I can get it to run then I'll finish cleaning my tank from car #3 and install it. Then it's brakes and clutch and by then I should be able to drive it around yard. I didn't have a key for car #2, but car #3 had one so I pulled the ignition out of it and installed in #2. There were two screws that had heads without any slot for a screwdriver. I made one with a punch, but it was tedious and a PITA. Finally got them out. I slapped in an old battery and flicked on the lights. They stayed on for about 15 seconds then went away. I get a click when attempting to crank on the right side somewhere but I know my battery is crap so I'm not concerned at this point. PICS of todays progress.

DSCF5593.jpg

DSCF5595.jpg

Hopefully I will get #2 running by next weekend. That's my goal. By then I will have changed my mind again and be back on car #1. LMAO. :) I'm still enjoying this.

I didn't have a key for car #2, but car #3 had one so I pulled the ignition out of it and installed in #2. There were two screws that had heads without any slot for a screwdriver. I made one with a punch, but it was tedious and a PITA. Finally got them out.

The easiest way to get those security screws out is by notching them with a dremel first (make sure you were goggles). Then you can just remove them with a flat blade screwdriver.

-Mike