IGNORED

Jumping in with 2

ArnieTX

I have a fishing buddy who owns his own shop and he had a backup compressor laying around that he wanted to get rid of. He was storing it in case his shop compressor ever went out. I was at the right place at the right time for this one. This thing should do whatever I need huh? He said it would run his 6 bay mechanic shop if needed.

DSCF5492.jpg

:) Time to start looking for used air tools.

That's nice if you want to deliver it I live in Cherry Hill NJ off rout 70 ;)

When you set it up add a moisture collection system you will not regret it. It will make your tools last longer, and will help when you use it to paint. I found the polypropylene hose to be nice it stays more playable, holds the same PSI, takes up a lot less space and is just as tough as the the PVC hose.

I didn't see and regulators on it make sure to get a nice one if you don't have one. With that beast you may want to get a double adjustable regulator with two connections you will have the power with some to spare.

Hey Arnie, you are living a blessed life! I started a restoration a few years ago on an early z. My boys are off on there own now. Whenever they come to visit, we spend several hours talking about the progress made. They help me with what ever repair I'm doing and their aspirations to get their own project cars under way. I'm working on the last few rust spots now, I've replaced the floors, a rear quarter panel, front frame clip and lots of little holes. It will be off to the sand blaster's for a touch up and priming before long. If you'd like to see a work in progress, I'm in San Antonio, send me a PM. I hope these two old Zcars bring you and your boys many hours of quality time together.

Larry

Another thing on air compressors that they never told me, or read. Every now and then, depending on use and weather, you must drain the TANK of water that has accumulated in the bottom. If you don't, after many years you will have a hole in your tank, as I do now. It took 28 years to eat through. Painted 2 cars before I got it. Mostly tire duty the years I had it.

It wouldn't be too bad if it was a small inexpensive unit, but it is a very large Kellogg-American 2 stage 5 horse. About fell over looking at prices of new ones. The tank is 5.5 feet by 2 ft in diameter. No telling what it would will run to replace the tank. I might just sell it as it is and get a smaller one. Can't complain too much, it came with the house/garage, and a small envelope to the PO. ;)

Bonzi Lon

post-11300-14150809837697_thumb.jpg

You should release the air every three months or when you have high humidity and cold nights. Where you live you could consider, but not as important as what has been mentioned a pre-humidity filter that goes over the intake. the problem is your always replacing the filter material.

Replacing the tank would be cheaper than getting a used compressor. It can also be repaired by a certified welder. In your climate, drain daily. The air pressure will clear out the water if cracked open a hair. Replace the drain valve with a ball valve.

They also make an automatic drain, but if you don't use it continually it's overkill.

Tony D is a compressor tech if you search on zcar you will find some of his recommendations.

I'm a long time lurker and first time poster after recently joining. I've been impressed by this thread and wish my fellow Texan to the south of me all the best on his Z project! I might be calling you to buy some of your spare parts!

I decided to get back into the classic car hobby with the purchase of a one-owner, original paint, Texas bought (and worn-out) '73 240Z almost 4 years ago. My approach to this project has been slow and deliberate on purpose (plus working on my son's truck project took all my garage space and free time!).

I may be "preaching to the choir" here, but my approach is to:

First, learn as much as possible about the car, car history, car values, literature, parts sources, hard to find parts, services, common problems/fixes, etc.. This site is a terrific resource, since there are so many extremely knowledgeable members here.

Second, critically analyze the car, or get an objective car savvy friend to do it for you. The old, "Yeah, it looks bad, but I think it can be fixed" trap can be very costly. Professional bodywork is extremely expensive these days IF you can find someone interested in doing "non-insurance" work. Even if you do it yourself, quality tools, equipment and paint aren't cheap. If the car has "tin-worm" infestation, walk away, it's cheaper in the long run.

Third, plan the project in phases and establish realistic cost estimates for each phase, aka "budget." Getting upside down in a project is not good for your mental health, finances, or marriage. The sooner you can know to pull the plug, the better. I use Microsoft Project and Excel to plan the project step-by-step and estimate materials and services in advance (as best I can) before jumping into it. The recommendation to multiply by "3" is a good one if you don't do a detailed analysis. And if you do a detailed analysis then just multiply by 2 instead. ;-)

Fourth, be honest with yourself. If you see a project will require more $$$ than the car could ever be worth, forget it, unless the car is a sentimental favorite you'll keep forever. Over the years I've seen many a basket case project up for sale with the description "too many projects", "wife forces sale", "not enough time", or "ran out of money". The last one usually adds, "too many new parts to list!" Case in point - don't invest in parts or services that will sit idle for years while you tinker on something else. You have better things to do with that money, plus, if you decide to pull the plug, you'll have fewer assets to liquidate.

Now, if only I can only practice what I preach when I start my Z project!

Edited by pwd

"Daddy, I want my Z to be pink" ---- "Daddy, I want to open it"

DSCF5504.jpg

Man, there is no way I can put these on my engine as filthy as it is. Thanks Bruce, you added another chore to my todo list. I was just going to install and run. No way I can do it now. Beautiful work!

DSCF5506.jpg

Time to watch some videos. :)

Keep them in a dry spot were you can see it every day to remind you how nice you want to make her.

By the way let them play with the tires not the carbs. More than likely you will have plenty of boxes for the kids, you got belts to pumps that you will need plus all the rubber.

It will be like Christmas for car guys soon for the two of us. I'm making some purchases for my car, getting the rubber, and the remaining fastener orders ready. I also started to plate the fasteners using Caswell's copy cad system. The larger stuff I plan to send out for cadmium plating. Glad to see your with us, it sounds like you found a winner in #3:)