IGNORED

My Trip to Z MECCA

EVILC

I know i am new around here, but who is this famous guy? And whats the story with his great garage?

Hi David:

Jim Frederick is just another one of us Classic Z Car enthusiasts. For that matter Jim and his brother are both in that group. By profession Jim owns an Insurance Agency in Lutz, Florida. He also handles Hagerty for Classic and Collector Automobiles in case anyone needs.

Jim Frederick

Frederick Insurance Agency

17874 N US Hwy 41

Lutz, FL 33549

813-949-3398 office

813-949-9628 fax

Since the early to mid 80's he has been dragging Datsun 240Z's home and either refreshing or completely restoring them himself. Although he sends the paint and body work to professionals. He's done so many over the years I've lost count and I'll bet he has too.

One main interest has always been the 1969 Production Year examples. So when HLS30 00016 became available several years ago - of course it was added to the collection.

His Collection has evolved over the years from being cars he refreshed or which he fully restored; to include some very nice, exceptionally low mileage examples he purchased - that simply needed some detailing to be exceptional. Then he started adding some of the Vintage Z's {he now has 7 of the 37 known}... Oh yes - and then there is the the convertible conversion with the L28ET and a 70 Fairlady Z as well.

Of course in the mean time, this all required ever more garage space - so he had a 40 x 60 garage built several years ago. Although as Clive mentioned - HLS30 00019 is still in the garage on the house.

Yes - but "who is he?".....

Like most of us the Classic Z's are just a hobby but Jim did restore a couple of 240Z's for other people. {does that make him a Professional?} One Original Owner that I knew ... had Jim restore his, but this is something Jim said he'd never do again!! By the time it was all done - I doubt he averaged minimum wage on the project, but the owner was very pleased with the result to say the least - even if he did spend two to three times his original planned budget !! {pictures below - the black but really silver car }

He also restored his brothers 69 production car... but that is a whole different story. Jim actually bought the car from his brother, in all but completely ragged out condition - after his brother finished college - then fully restored it and gave it back to his brother. If you lose that much money, I guess you can't be called a "professional restorer"....:stupid:

I would say that there isn't much about these Classic Z Cars that Jim doesn't have lots of hands-on time with, nor area's that he doesn't have an extensive knowledge of. We all know that his next "project" will be to build the second 40'x60'...ROFL

FWIW,

Carl B.

The first pictures shows Ken's Z as it was being disassembled at Jim's. The second pictures shows the front as it was going back together. The third pictures shows Ken's Silver Z and Jim's brothers Dark Green 69 - as I recall it was HLS30 00052 or 51 .... I have pictures of them finished somewhere..

post-3609-14150809157128_thumb.jpg

post-3609-14150809157566_thumb.jpg

post-3609-1415080915817_thumb.jpg

Though I've not been to ZMecca, nor have I met Jim in person, I can say that Jim is not just a successful Z collector and resource for us, he is also a really great guy, willing to help others with their needs. When I needed to find a moderately rare part in exceptional condition a few months ago, Jim was more than willing to sell me the best spare he had - one that he had been planning to install on one of his own cars. Didn't matter to him if that meant that his car would be stuck with a slightly less-great part - since I said I needed a really nice one for my car he was happy to part with his best one. While I happily paid his asking price, I still feel grateful that he was willing to let go of his best one.

I met Jim at the 2008 Cleveland RockZ national convention and he is a great guy who is as humble as they come. I will be sure to look him up if I find myself in Florida. Being in the company of Jim, Carl, Chris, and other Z masters at the convention, I was embarassed to even let anyone see my pathetic Z. :laugh:

I was embarassed to even let anyone see my pathetic Z. :laugh:

Hi Jeff:

All first generation Z's are things of beauty - some are only waiting for the right person to come along and give them a "make-over"... It's always fun to see them "before" and "after". If your Z is running - there is nothing to be embarassed about.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck

Hi Jeff:

All first generation Z's are things of beauty - some are only waiting for the right person to come along and give them a "make-over"... It's always fun to see them "before" and "after". If you Z is running - there is nothing to be embarassed about.

FWIW,

Carl B.

It IS a rust-free Z and all the mechanicals are done. It just needs to be stripped and painted. I've been saying "One of these years I'll have the cash to redo the body" since 1991. Life just keeps getting in the way :disappoin

Wow, Chris I don't understand your comments about Jim. I've met him a couple of times and he's a stand up guy. He's willing to share his collection to anyone that wants to see it or give advice on restoring a first gen Z either by e-mail, phone or in person. We're lucky to have someone that is so willing to share his knowledge and experiance with these cars without a personel agenda.

• 8 months later...

Two weeks ago I had the privilege of visiting with Carl and Jim I got to see both Carl's and Jim's collections. They were spectacular. The only thing Jim asked me to do was to upload some of the pictures I had taken of his garage to this thread Clive started last year. As others that know Jim and Carl will agree, they are both awesome people, very down to earth, humble, and generous with sharing their time, expertise, and knowledge of the Z cars with anyone who shares their passion for these cars.

So as promised, I will upload these pictures. As I look at them I realize I was in such awe while touring Jim's Z Mecca Garage, that I did not take enough pictures of his collection. Oh well sounds like a good excuse to make a pilgrimage back to Z Mecca :) :).

Edited by mgmoreau