IGNORED

24 months of intensive restoration, and I'm almost done.

blakt out

adamr:

Thanks for the welcome! Which is the C pillar? The joint between quarter panel and decklid?

Zs:

I think you got me wrong. Over $100,000. I paid a Barrett Jackson-level resto shop to do the labor. I did the design. I've done my own before. This time, I wanted a perfect Z.

I know I'm WAAAY over the top on this car, but it is what it is. Nobody call my wife!

Z's... I was going to say... Blakt Out didn't say 5 figures, he said 6 figures. That's a bit over the top for me. I think my neighbor across the street paid something like that for his Aston Martin. To be honest, I love my Z, but... over 100K? Not that much. On the other hand, your spending the money and I am really enjoying looking at the pictures! So keep on spending, and keep on posting those pictures. :) Thanks for sharing, you're building a work of art.

Nice to see you on this board as well. I got a Resto-mod in the works that will have a ton of factory parts along with some real cool mods. It should compare in some ways with you project but our price tag is not there yet....could be soon. It is not cheap doing projects like this. I love Blakt Out's car...a true beauty.

Fantatic job so far, I can't wait to see the rest of it. I'm with Z's on this, using your level of enthusiasm to inspire me to get back in the garage. Definately keep the pics coming, as I'm sure more than a few of us will use the tips and tricks seen on our own rides. WOW!!!

HOLY CRAP JARED!!!! When you said 6 figures, I was thinking $6K. Now I don't feel so bad about me possibly hitting 10 to 12K when I'm done. I'm doing 95% of ALL the work on my Resto-Mod. If it's not destroyed, I'm rebuilding it. So you won't see all the labor costs mixed in with my final bill. The most expensive thing I'll pay for will obviously be the paint job. I'm doing all the body work so I'll only have to pay for the local shop to shoot it and wet-sand it and buff it out. This is as close to a One Man Show as I can get.

once again, DAMN Jared. Wish I had 1/4 of your budget. or 1/8th to get me moving one mine.

Dave

Dave:

Yeah. The stuff really adds up.

But on top of labor, here's some quick numbers-

(These numbers are off the top of my head, not the receipts)

New Dash - $2800

CCW Wheels and Michelin Tires - $6000

SR20DET - $2500

Rebuild of SR20DET, all turbo equipment, lightweight flywheel/clutch, tuning - $15000

Genuine NISMO R200 LSD, rebuilt - $1000

Restored Steering wheel from Classic Datsun (Les Cannaday) $400

Complete interior, etc... it goes on and on.

Then there's the Wilwoods, the coil overs, all the custom stuff in the suspension, the fuel system...

A lot has been spent on labor, but a lot on quality parts too.

I have my Porsche for sale now to finish the Z. The Porsche won a shootout in Excellence Magazine of tuner 911s, and was the cover car, and I'm letting THAT one go to be able to fund the Z!

Edited by Arne
Corrected cost of steering wheel

I can't wait to see this thread when I get home. My dad and I can't see pictures from work. I have been thinking about installing an SR in my Z (once I finally get one) I am glad to see someone else is doing it. I had always thought it would be a terrific engine for the Z reducing weight while also allowing lots of room for a trick IC setup (mounted at a 45 angle in front of the motor).

Only thing I wondered was weight split. I was shocked when we weighed my dads lime 72 and it was a perfect 50/50. I worried that the SR might actually screw up the distribution.

Oh. Car will reside here with me in Knoxville, TN.

KNOXVILLE........I thought I was the only one here.

I can't believe I haven't seen you around, are you out West. Have you been to any of the club events.

European Auto Garage does a cars and coffee, you need to bring the Z in November.

Look forward to seeing it in person.

Randy

Jared-

Have you been over to Maryville yet to visit Roger - if you are looking for a part, odds are, Roger has it - it's really crazy to see all the stuff that he does have if you are looking for that hard to find something. Beautiful work and budget!

The Z Barn

http://www.zbarn.com/