IGNORED

What is rude behavior on a thread?

hls30.com

What is rude behavior in a thread?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. What is rude behavior in a thread?

• Posting to insult or anger instead of to share Z info.
    • Posting misinformation as fact.
    • Posting USA based 240Z info without lableing it as such.
    • Posting USA info as the only facts in the S30 information base.
    • Posting a known defenseless position.

I voted for the first "Posting to insult or anger instead of to share Z info" as that, to me, is the obvious answer.

But the other answers;

Posting misinformation as fact.

Posting USA based 240Z info without labeling it as such.

Posting USA info as the only facts in the S30 information base.

Posting a known defenseless position.

Could be manipulated to BE rude. It all depends on the overall context of the post. I could cite or make individual examples but hopefully that's not necessary.

Sorry if this makes the poll a bit awkward as that isn't my intent.

Sadly this state of unrest and disagreement seems to rear it's head every so often... what periodicity it has I cannot fathom, but it does reoccur.

Civility is hard to define specifically, but I know it when it's missing. I also have seen people cry out that it's missing, when it has been applied lavishly.

2¢

E

As much as I would like to post to some of the threads that have "heated" discussions, I avoid doing so as I do not want to get in the mix. I'll pm the originator of the post to give my input or support rather than keep the hornet's nest stirred. I am still restoring the knowledge I had back when I was really in the know on Z's, so I won't interject unless I know I am correct or at least can add a disclaimer. There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks here and I appreciate the transfer of info. There are also those who seem to have a hard time handling the fact there are others who may know more than themselves.

it is far too easy online for some reason (and maybe in some peoples regular lives) to state opinion as undeniable fact.

I see it in just about every spot that anyone can comment online the "No one will ever buy that! It is ugly" or some variation on that. Almost a dare to anyone who reads the thread to reply with another opinion. basically "Here's my opinion, I'm right and you are an idiot if you think otherwise" Rarely does it read "I wouldn't buy that, it isn't for me".

I've known a couple people in real life like that but I'd say most are far more brazen online than they'd ever be in person.

Or when someone asks about an item and gets the broad based "those are junk, only an idiot would buy those" with no reason to backup the statement. Form a complete, coherent thought and then hit the submit reply button. (Yes, I do realize that often what I think is complete and coherant in my posts might not come across that way)

Posting misinformation as fact. <- If they know it is misinformation, otherwise someone can politely point out that it is wrong and everyone learns.

Posting USA based 240Z info without labeling it as such. < - but we all know that is the only information that really matters! (just kidding)

It all depends on the tenor or tone of the message board. < - well said, it doesn't take much on a board like this that is generally so mellow to upset the cart.

Edited by ta240

• 1 month later...
If I was right even 51% of the time' date=' couldn't I go to Wall Street or Vegas and make millions a day?:bulb:[/quote']

No. But, thinking about it makes life interesting. See poll choice #2 above. Sorry for getting off track with the discussion topic. :classic:

Dennis

Why not? Ok, I'm kidding. I will say that some choose to stir things up, regardless of the topic. Some people are simply oppositional. Others cannot leave well enough alone. Often people cannot disagree in silence. Some seem to have very little life outside this forum. Some people are simply generous with their experience and knowledge, while others spew theirs in a self agranddizing fashion. To me, all of this is just part of the human condition.

I lurk here frequently, and find that this site, as a whole, has some of the nicest, most knowlegable folks around. There is clearly some tension between some members. All I have to say is that if someone makes it personal, the best way to get his goat is to not respond;). You can do it here, and, by doing so, look like you are taking the high road, too.

You give what you get. Consider this: There are some guys with A__hole tendencies on here for sure . Just be glad that you aren't married to them!

I have learned to be very careful when I use this means of communication. It is easy to misinterpret typed communications.

Adamr