IGNORED

Newbie 1972 240Z Kentucky

GCSS

Hi one and all.

I am O/O of Green County Speed Shop located in central Kentucky.

I just purchased a 1972 240Z with 63,000 original miles.

I have a few questions....

how do I tell what serial number this car is ....(Low or high)

I have the VIN,but I read about low number cars and wonder about mine.

I am going to start with the restoration and need directions as to where to go with it.

It is a white with red interior 4 speed car. Should it be put back to 100% original? or would it not matter much value-wise?

It spent it's life in NewMexico since 1974 and is a nice clean 98% rust free car.

Only needing small patches in the front bottoms of the 1/4s. Pans battery box etc etc all rust free. It was a 1-owner car too.

It runs great .

Should I keep it white with red interior,or go with what I want with 1972 Factory options?

I have had 100s of cars and am keeping this one .

Thanks

Dave

Welcome!

Please post some pictures! We like pictures as they tell a lot of the story.

As for '72 production (if I understood your question correctly), you will not have a "low number" car as they are often referenced on this site. Often our guys are speaking of early run vehicles manufactured in 1969/70. Your VIN, HLS30-?????, is your number. Check the driver side door jamb and engine compartment at the right strut tower for data plates. You will find the VIN in three places, on these two plates and engraved on the firewall just above the master vac. They should all match. The door plate will also give you the date of manufacture, and the strut tower plate will give you the original engine number as well. The engine number can be found on a flat on the block just below spark plugs #5 & #6.

Sounds like a nice car. Same color combination as mine. What you do with it is your call. IMHO I'd keep it stock, but that's me, not you.

ditto.

Where you go with the car is entirely up to you, though I would keep the red interior (I think it's stunning, and you don't see it very often).

Edited by zbane
John typed faster than I...

Welcome!

Please post some pictures! We like pictures as they tell a lot of the story.

As for '72 production (if I understood your question correctly), you will not have a "low number" car as they are often referenced on this site. Often our guys are speaking of early run vehicles manufactured in 1969/70. Your VIN, HLS30-?????, is your number. Check the driver side door jamb and engine compartment at the right strut tower for data plates. You will find the VIN in three places, on these two plates and engraved on the firewall just above the master vac. They should all match. The door plate will also give you the date of manufacture, and the strut tower plate will give you the original engine number as well. The engine number can be found on a flat on the block just below spark plugs #5 & #6.

Sounds like a nice car. Same color combination as mine. What you do with it is your call. IMHO I'd keep it stock, but that's me, not you.

Well I went out to the shop...all 3 places list the same numbers.....

the numbers are HLS30-57414

and the motor numbers are L24 071731

The motor numbers match the plate on the tower too

I'll try to figure how to add pics....

the paint on the car is mostly original with someone hitting it with a spraybomb where it was faded off from the sun.

The interior is also totally burnt out from the desert sun

post-20192-14150808487221_thumb.jpg

post-20192-14150808487837_thumb.jpg

post-20192-14150808488411_thumb.jpg

Edited by GCSS

Well I went out to the shop...all 3 places list the same numbers.....

the numbers are HLS30-57414

and the motor numbers are L24 071731

The motor numbers match the plate on the tower too

I'll try to figure how to add pics....

the paint on the car is mostly original with someone hitting it with a spraybomb where it was faded off from the sun.

The interior is also totally burnt out from the desert sun

Great! Based on that, you have a "numbers matching" car. Your engine has not been replaced. In my opinion that is a very positive point. The door jamb plate will also show a date of production. I'd be guessing February (just a WAG based on my number).

Here's several pix of her '72 sister.

post-9676-1415080849008_thumb.jpg

post-9676-14150808490817_thumb.jpg

post-9676-14150808491429_thumb.jpg

Edited by DeesZ