IGNORED

Quaife

coop

Can anyone out there point me to a supplier of the R-180 Quaife? It's time to pony up for a second/backup. Motorsport Auto doesn't offer them any more. Do I have to go to the factory to get one? Thanks.

PS See what I can afford when I don't crash the car! LOL

I love clutch style diffs but my experience has shown that they burn up after a while if you don't use a good diff cooler on them. That, of course, is illegal in my class. That's why I go for the Quaife - while not perfect, is basically bullet proof and allows nice turn in. Thanks for info Jon.

Edited by coop
additions

I bought mine from Quaife America.

Autotech/Quaife America

32240-E Paseo Adelanto

San Juan Capistrano, Ca. 92675

949-240-4000

There are two R180 ring gear sizes, 110 & 115mm. Make sure you know your size before ordering. The O.S. Giken is a good unit, the business I work for imports them for Porsche's. But I chose a quaife for my setup too.

Phred

You can also try Taylor-Race Engineering in Plano, TX. They're on the web and know a bit more about racing then Quaife America.

FYI... I've run both the Quaife and various clutch pack LSDs. As long as you're willing to run the rear suspension soft the Quaife will work great. But you still need a cooler because the Quaife will generate more heat in the fluid then a CLSD.

Oops, I forgot you're running ITS. Whichever diff you run, change the fluid after every event and Redline 75W-140.

Edited by John Coffey

John, I've been running Redline Heavy Weight Shock Proof. I've also tried the Light Weight Shock Proof but only for one weekend. Both types get real nasty real fast. I'm surprised because theoretically, when using a Quaife, shear forces are not as much of a factor as shock/impact forces. With that in mind, wouldn't you think that you could stretch the oil change intervals a little using a Quaife vs a clutch LSD? I used to get multiple weekends on my old lockers.

Craig at Taylor-Race specifically told me not to use shockproof in the Qauife's I ran. I did run it in my dog ring sequential trans. I saw generally hotter rear housing temps (measured with a IR gun) when running the Quaife then when I ran a clutch pack LSD. The temp measuring wasn't very consistent or scientific but the difference was enough to notice.

Diff fluid is cheap.

I'm surprised because theoretically, when using a Quaife, shear forces are not as much of a factor as shock/impact forces.

I'm not trying to be insulting, but in reading this statement I wonder if you know how the Quaife works. Here's the brief description: the drive forces drive the side gears into the sides of the case, where they push hard on it. They in turn drive all the worm gears into their pockets in the case at the same time. They also push very hard on the case. So you have gears that are being shoved against the case hard. Now when you turn the side gears have to move at different speeds. This causes all of the little gears and side gears to move. It's the friction between the gears and the case that causes the limited slip action, and it's pretty much all shear friction. You have shear from the ends of the side gears to the case, shear from the smaller helical gears into their pockets, shear from the toe of the helical gears against the case, and shear from the side gears to the helical gears.

If you have a gear driven diff that doesn't have preload (yes, they can be preloaded) you can spin the tires in opposite directions with your pinky. I've seen this done with an ITSS Firebird that my ex-boss used to race. He sat there spinning it and said "I don't know why this thing works, but it does!" At the time I didn't know why it worked either, but later I worked for Randy's Ring and Pinion selling diff parts and had a demo model of one of these on my desk for several months, along with a little tiny detroit locker and an Auburn gear miniature LSD. The reason the wheels spin so freely is because the gears don't get jammed into the case until torque is applied to the ring gear. It's also why when you lift one tire off the ground the thing is completely open with no resistance (assuming no preload). With no torque to multiply, the inside tire starts spinning immediately.

Jon. Up to now, I've had no idea why or how a Quaife works. I just knew that it did and that clutch disks didn't wear out. Sounded good to me so I went with it and have had trouble free results.

"It's the friction between the gears and the case that causes the limited slip action, and it's pretty much all shear friction."............I had no idea! I should definitely go with something other than Shock Proof!

John recommends Redline 75W-140. Can I get an Amen on that? Also, when I switch, how do you think the differential engagement will alter vs the Shock Proof?

Thanks everyone for the education.:stupid:

Just a note here. If it ever sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about it's probably because I don't know it all and I'm constantly learning so don't feel you're insulting me by passing on your knowledge. Again thanks.

Just a note here. If it ever sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about it's probably because I don't know it all and I'm constantly learning so don't feel you're insulting me by passing on your knowledge. Again thanks.

Glad to hear that. I'd much rather know when I'm wrong too, but not all people share our view. ;):beer:

Edited by jmortensen

You can also try Taylor-Race Engineering in Plano, TX. They're on the web and know a bit more about racing then Quaife America.

I'd suggest Taylor as well, they're top notch and competitively priced, at least when I bought mine.

I saw generally hotter rear housing temps (measured with a IR gun) when running the Quaife then when I ran a clutch pack LSD. The temp measuring wasn't very consistent or scientific but the difference was enough to notice.

Diff fluid is cheap.

No personal experience with a clutch style, but I installed a temp probe in my R200/Quaife last year. My first event was unseasonably cool (70's), I was the last race group of the afternoon so it had cooled to ambient temp, and it still hit 300 at the end of a half hour session - this with the 300zxt finned diff cover too. Needless to say a cooler went on shortly thereafter. Prior to that I was changing the fluid every race and I can only imagine the temps.