IGNORED

Rough cost to rechrome a front bumper

GregP

Can someone give me a rough idea what it should cost to rechrome a 240z bumper? Figuring the bumper needs minor work (scratches and a minor ding)?

I've had all of my bumpers for all 3 of my projects re-chromed at Denver Bumper Works. I had my front bumper done for $225.00 and I highly recommend them. Perhaps there is a company in the Northeast that can do it for you. There are a few members here that shipped their bumpers to Denver Bumper and all of them told me that they were very happy with the results.

Here's the link to their website: http://www.denverbumper.com/

Edited by lonetreesteve

Why are they so cheap?? Do they use a sputter process? (Instead of cyanide baths etc)It's my understanding that having parts replated the old fashioned way was very expensive because the chemicals and the EPA regs were a problem.

$225 for a front bumper is what I was charged twenty years ago in Florida. Today that same bumper in FL costs $800-$1000 to be rechromed.

Just curious.

Jim

Why are they so cheap?? Do they use a sputter process? (Instead of cyanide baths etc)It's my understanding that having parts replated the old fashioned way was very expensive because the chemicals and the EPA regs were a problem.

$225 for a front bumper is what I was charged twenty years ago in Florida. Today that same bumper in FL costs $800-$1000 to be rechromed.

Just curious.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Well, I understand that it now costs $250.00 to do the front bumper (without guards). Yes, they do it the old fashioned way. I've had 3 sets of 240Z bumpers re-chromed by them plus an extra front bumper that I ended up selling to Enigma a little over 2 years ago. Enigma said that he was very happy with the bumper. Additionally, Beandip and Dhayes5 shipped their 240Z bumpers to Denver Bumper and they both told me that they were very happy with them and the shipping costs were very reasonable.

Here are the current costs to re-chrome 240Z bumpers at Denver Bumper Works:

Front bumper: $250.00

Guards (front or back): $50.00 each

Rear Center piece: $100.00

Rear side pieces: $75.00 each

I live in FL too, and couldn't find a good chrome shop in the whole state. I ended up shipping mine to Les, at ClassicDatsun in California. He had all holes the welded shut for the guards and rubber strips, so that the bumpers are perfectly clean and straight. They were then dipped in copper and nickel and chrome, followed by paint on the backsides. Both bumpers, with shipping both ways were somewhere a bit north of $1100, if I remember right. They've been back in the Keys for a few months, and are looking great, despite the salt air. Also, the coating seems very hard. The front bumper has been "bumped" twice, once by an idiot on a bike and once when I pushed the clutch in while parked, and had the car roll forward into a metal post. No scratches. It took paint of the metal post, though, and the biker nicked the front of my hood, so it was hard to believe the bumper wasn't scratched. I gotta get a brush guard....

Edited by ConchZ

Steve,

Thanks for that info. Do you know if that included any minor repair work? I have not had anything rechromed so I'm not sure if they normally consider small dings and scratches as a usual part of the process.

Greg

Greg,

Yes, they have always included minor repairs such as fixing small dings, scratches and even some very minor straightening. In fact, one of my front bumpers was missing a nut on one of the small mounting brackets on the backside of the bumper and they welded a new one on for me as part of the service.

Thanks lonetree. The regulations must be stiffer in Florida. I'll be shipping some things to CO. :)

Jimmy,

I'm sure you will be happy with the quality of the workmanship, the reasonable shipping that they charge and the quick turnaround time.

As lonetreesteve stated , I had my rear bumper plated by Denver Bumper. I couldn't be more pleased. They did a super job. In fact one of the mounting bolts was broken off and I cut and drilled out the piece before I shipped all three pieces. I figured I would deal with it when it was returned. They welded in a new bolt , did the repair of dents and all . No extra charge. I recommend them highly. They are pleasant to work with and the turn around was amazing. Including shipping time 12 days total. It took 5 days from me to them. I think they had the bumper 3days! $250.00 to plate all three parts.

Gary

• 2 months later...