IGNORED

Repainting a Z

ZCarLife

Yikes.... there is so much disinformation here that it is difficult to ascertain WHERE to begin.

The VALUE of an item isn’t ascertained until such time as it's sale is effected. Up to then it is merely conjecture and posturing by the owner. A paint job can add to the value of a car, as well as it can reduce it’s value. Putting a 10k paint job will not necessarily raise the value of a car by 10k, but neither will it necessarily drop it by 10k.

"Changing the color will almost always de-value the car if it is a classic…. changing the color will still de-value the car to the purists."

Sorry, but how will you know the color was changed if it was done properly? The VIN does not yield a paint code, heck you can buy a paint code sticker in any color you choose to repaint the car. Again, if done properly, how will you know? There is no firm registry for the Z, that denotes what color it left the factory as. The only registers that exist denote the color REPORTED by the owner.

If a "purist" can denote the color change, then was it done "properly"?

"Even quality paintjobs in the same color can bring the value down."

This one is ... baffling. How can it bring the value down if it was a quality paint job? Because it's fresh paint? I'll concede that in some cases that can be the case... when documented original paint records, chemistry, texture, etc., exist. But otherwise? Sorry, nope. Anything less than a quality paint job, wouldn't be a quality job.

The value can only be brought down if the SELLER agrees to the mis-informed assumption of the presumed buyer. If a potential buyer were to tell me he was lowering his offer for my car on the basis of fresh paint... I could not care less.... as long as he met MY price to sell the car for. If his "low-ball" offer didn't equate what I WANTED/REQUIRED for the car... no sale. His reasons for his offer would not necessarily be reasons for my acceptance, but in fact, could be reasons for my denying his offer. Unlike the IRS, he cannot compell me to sell.

"Especially if you don't have lots of photos showing the process."

How will pictures support the value? Conversely, how will the LACK of pictures undermine the value? Pictures are but a static time slice at one point, they aren't necessarily a guarantee, nor proof of a process, nor necessarily PROOF that it was effected on the vehicle in question.

I've seen pictures of someone wet-sanding a car, only to have seen that that job was done poorly. Additionally, I've seen pictures of people using a D/A only to find out they decided to chemically strip that panel later. Heck, you can't even be sure the car in the picture is the SAME car as the one you're looking at in front of you. How would you know?

"New paint on a car for sale is generally a cover up. I always prefer a car with original paint as you never know how much bondo lurks under a respray."

New paint on a car CAN be a cover up, it can also have been done with the good intention of UP-valuing the car. To assume that it is a cover up, denotes that the viewer is pre-disposed towards deception being the reason for the paint job.

Regarding bondo, are you under the impression that cars NEVER left the factory with bondo under their "original" paint? What did you think they did with a car that suffered a light mishap? Destroy them? Nope, they repaired them and shipped them out.

Secondly, Bondo is not the all-encompassing EVIL that some people make it out to be. There is a definite need for the product and process. To dismiss it outright as undesireable is at best short-sighted, but more than likely, un-informed.

"never buy a car that has been primed unless you see lots of photos of the prep work!!!!"

Photos can only prove what you want to believe. I can show you several pictures of cars in the process of getting primer.... and not one of them might be the car you're looking to buy nor looking at.

I'm not trying to start a flame war, but too often people look upon the exceptions and consider them the rule, without additionally upholding those mis-conceptions as stated "facts".

MY 2¢

E