Arne

Here's the final count:  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Here's the final count:

• [b]240-Z[/b]
    • [b]280-Z[/b]
    • [b]DATSUN[/b]

THEY ARRIVED TODAY!!

I'll be installing one of mine tomorrow as a final test, then spot-checking and working to combine packages as appropriate. If all goes well, I'll be shipping them out next week. Stay tuned...

I installed one of my pair today, and I'm well pleased. The fit is nice, and the installation process was much easier this time. I'll be posting some updated hints and tips shortly.

Shipping prep has commenced, I'll be working on that some tomorrow, and plan to take a few hours off work during the week to get the bulk of them shipped out. I hope to get all of the USA-bound packages mailed by Wednesday or Thursday. All will be shipped First Class mail. There will be either one or two per tube, as needed. Those of you who ordered more than 2 will receive more than one tube.

The International orders will go out a bit later, I plan to pick up the Customs forms early this week, and hopefully ship by the end of the week.

My car is alone in the world right now in wearing a current production Bolder Tint sunshade. But it won't be alone much longer....

Each tube will include a copy of the original instructions circa 1975. The instructions are still valid, but here are some additional tips, based on my recent experience.

• Cleanliness is essential. You want the inside of the windshield and the contact side of the sunshade to both be as dust and lint-free as possible. You'll never get it absolutely perfect, so accept that up front or you'll get really frustrated.
  • Do not use ammonia-based window cleaners to prepare for installation. Clear water with a bit of vinegar, or alcohol-based cleaners are OK. In either case, rinse with clear water after cleaning.
  • I did a final wipe using a microfiber drying towel to eliminate as much lint and dust as possible. It appeared to help.
  • The original instructions say to use clear water only, with a drop or two of dish detergent as optional. The additional adhesive on the newer mylar doesn't allow it to slide around for positioning as easily as the originals did, so consider that drop or two of dish soap in the water as required. I did not use it on the test application, but did on the last one and it was MUCH easier to slide around and get correctly positioned.
  • Be careful while handling the sunshade so as not to crease or wrinkle it. Special care should be taken while peeling the clear protective film off the adhesive side, as it is very easy to wrinkle it then. Wrinkles in the mylar will show later.
  • The instructions say to use a squeegee, and they do mean a RUBBER squeegee. Flexible rubber is essential, a harder plastic squeegee won't do it.
  • Lastly, it doesn't pay to try to get it positioned too tightly against the rubber windshield seal. Try to get it too tight and you risk wrinkling and creasing the mylar. Absolute perfect fit is not critical since even an eighth to a quarter of an inch gap really doesn't show - since the black rubber window seal is right behind it.

Wouldn't have done it if I hadn't wanted one for myself bad enough to be willing to take it on. Yes, it was a PITA, and I'll think really hard before taking on something like this again. But it's almost over now. I've got mine, 34 others will have theirs, and while I haven't got the final accounting finished yet, I do know that there will be a pleasant amount left over for a club donation. A win for pretty much everyone.

Arne, many thanks !! Got my package in todays mail. Hell of a packing job. Now to wait till the temp gets up a bit. (yep, even here in Fla. it's unseasonably cold) Hopefully this undertaking didn't drive you completely off the wall. Thanks again for all your work.