IGNORED

HLS30-OOO13 Has Been Found!

EVILC

not trying to slight the write up in Sport Z, but when i read the cover, and then go to the story, i was dissapointed thinking someone had PURCHASED a rare Z barn find. only to read that the owner has no intention of selling. he is very sharp though, give him that, in recognizing the importance, and value, or a very low vin. and remember everyone, this gentleman is getting on in years, and his recollections may not all be accuarate, but he deserves our respect, and love, as a fellow Z owner.:love:

He's reading this you know. ;-)

There are a lot of definitions of a barn find, this is only one of them.

The traditional when someone finds a collectable car and gets it for a measly sum and drives off with it. We all wish we could be that lucky.

In this case, he drove it had fun and then put it in storage already knowing the significance of a low vin number and preserving it. He did that not only with 13, but also 171.

This is a really cool story, and the car is obviously significant. I just can't believe the amount of hair splitting that has occured on this thread, people who treasure the low vin cars should be happy that this car has surfaced.

Edited by whamo

Hi everybody,

I am new to this forum and have heard great things about it. I was hoping to confirm my historical knowledge of the Nissan 240Z because I have heard that there are many experts on this forum. So to sum it up, my understanding is that the 240z was conseived and designed for the U.S. market with the first one arriving in late 1969. Due to the success of the car in the U.S., it was also marketed to other smaller and less strategic countries, where immaterial numbers were sold. There are several all-original cars still in existance with the first 240 z ever manufactured in Japan recently being discovered in a barn in CT - the Butterscotch Yellow one, which was not outfitted with the optional Fulda tires. All of the historically significant 240Z’s that still exist are located in the U.S. which again makes sense given Datsun Japan’s focus on the U.S. market.

From reading prior posts, I understand that I need to be an expert on these cars before commenting so I just want to ensure that I have my facts and terminologee correct. I really don’t want to be chased away like that silly old fool Rick, who added absolutely no value because his facts weren’t correct. Imagine a 75 year old military veteran, in ill health, trying to come onto this board and wasting everyone’s time. Just because he recognized the importance of this car 30 years ago and agreed to answer everyone’s questions honestly and willingly doesn't mean he belongs here. What an idiot! Especially in the Z community, everyone has an interior motive and I’m sure he is just trying to “pump and dump” this car for monetary gain as someone suggested. People that collect things and hold them for over three decades are usually just trying to dump them for a profit! This board is much better without the owner of the first Z manufactured in Japan contributing.

It’s good that a couple of you, through carefully worded responses which almost mask your contempt, insure that this bored doesn’t become used by regular people that love Z’s – or have an interesting story to tell - that would be a shame.

We need to make sure this bored is for people like us - experts!

Tx, Chris S.

PS - I just learned a hole lot about the Camero on a Chevrolet site and am looking to do the same here.

Hi everybody,

I am new to this forum and have heard great things about it. I was hoping to confirm my historical knowledge of the Nissan 240Z because I have heard that there are many experts on this forum. So to sum it up, my understanding is that the 240z was conseived and designed for the U.S. market with the first one arriving in late 1969. Due to the success of the car in the U.S., it was also marketed to other smaller and less strategic countries, where immaterial numbers were sold. There are several all-original cars still in existance with the first 240 z ever manufactured in Japan recently being discovered in a barn in CT - the Butterscotch Yellow one, which was not outfitted with the optional Fulda tires. All of the historically significant 240Z’s that still exist are located in the U.S. which again makes sense given Datsun Japan’s focus on the U.S. market.

From reading prior posts, I understand that I need to be an expert on these cars before commenting so I just want to ensure that I have my facts and terminologee correct. I really don’t want to be chased away like that silly old fool Rick, who added absolutely no value because his facts weren’t correct. Imagine a 75 year old military veteran, in ill health, trying to come onto this board and wasting everyone’s time. Just because he recognized the importance of this car 30 years ago and agreed to answer everyone’s questions honestly and willingly doesn't mean he belongs here. What an idiot! Especially in the Z community, everyone has an interior motive and I’m sure he is just trying to “pump and dump” this car for monetary gain as someone suggested. People that collect things and hold them for over three decades are usually just trying to dump them for a profit! This board is much better without the owner of the first Z manufactured in Japan contributing.

It’s good that a couple of you, through carefully worded responses which almost mask your contempt, insure that this bored doesn’t become used by regular people that love Z’s – or have an interesting story to tell - that would be a shame.

We need to make sure this bored is for people like us - experts!

Tx, Chris S.

PS - I just learned a hole lot about the Camero on a Chevrolet site and am looking to do the same here.

I usually don't do this but you my friend are an idiot :stupid:

I will wait to see if the admins delete your post and mine ;)

You have some reading to do before you post again....take care!

C, they can delete mine at the same time. Sounds like a rather thinly veiled put on to me. Possibly under an 'assumed name'. Look at the occaisional misspellling. You can spell knowlege, immaterial, or signifigant but not board, whole, or Camaro? Here's my 'carefully worded' response. Chrissimmons, get lost!

Edited by sblake01

Nope. After the last go-round on stuff like this, I will no longer selectively delete individual posts, unless they are obvious spam. If necessary I will lock or delete the entire thread, but not single posts.

I will say that "Chrissimmons" joined today, location listed as "U.S.". There was another brand new account created from the very same IP address about an hour earlier with the location of "Indiana". I will be watching both accounts, and also any new accounts from the same IP address.

Umm...guys...unless I'm really thick-headed, that Chrissimmons post looks to me to be...ummmm...sarcasm...and if you read between the lines, and take a step back, you may think it's pretty darn funny.

I do not know this poster, nor do I have any affiliation...

BTW - I have met Rick - he's a great guy who I am proud to call a friend.

Cheers,

Colin

He's reading this you know. ;-)

There are a lot of definitions of a barn find, this is only one of them.

The traditional when someone finds a collectable car and gets it for a measly sum and drives off with it. We all wish we could be that lucky.

In this case, he drove it had fun and then put it in storage already knowing the significance of a low vin number and preserving it. He did that not only with 13, but also 171.

i hope he is reading this, because i think he is a super cool man, main reason, for loving the Z car. and i would consider him a very sharp businessman.

i think we need to be glad that he recognised the importance of this Z, and snapped it up. keeping it from the elements as best he could, and is now hanging on to it. with intentions of getting it driveable again. thats' just too cool.

and i wasn't knocking him at all, for not selling the car. if you took it that way, i sure didn't mean it. just taking a poke at the mag for a very enticing front cover, and then being let down or dissapointed from my view of a barn find. where i imagined someone taking this off his hands.

as for the negative comments, or slights coming from some folks. i won't get in on that, but i think they should be called out for what they are. first guess being insanely jealous;)

as for the negative comments, or slights coming from some folks. i won't get in on that, but i think they should be called out for what they are. first guess being insanely jealous;)

Or perhaps some of us would just like a little less hyperbole, a wider perspective and more accuracy in the reporting.

Case in point: The 'Nissan Sport' magazine covering the story of this car has the ( priceless! ) blurb on the front cover - "Earliest Production Z Car Discovered".

Er, no.......... :rolleyes:

It's (HLS30-OOO13 ) in the newest issue of Nissan Sport magazine.
Anyhow, I want to congratulate Rick for his fifteen minutes of fame and say that the article in Nissan Sport is very nice. In fact, the serial number thing is discussed to some extent. I found the article an interesting read with complimentary blooper and the pictures were very nice. Wasn't Steve Rossini the photographer for the Syracuse convention?

I just finally got my issue on Monday. It's also nice to point out this is Nissan Sport's 13th issue too. haha

Will he ever sell it? Maybe the owner should take it to Barrett Jackson and roll the dice!!