IGNORED

WHat are you going to do to benefit from the "Cash for Clunkers" program

hls30.com

What are you doing to benefit from the "Cash for Clunkers" program.  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What are you doing to benefit from the "Cash for Clunkers" program.

• 1) Driving the 250K Suburban into get a Prius!
    • 2) Swapping the Wifes Caddy for a Box with wheels
    • 3) Checking out all of the Dealers Shenanagains for fun!
    • 4) Hittinng up the tradeins for parts!

I am not sure what the huge deal about wasting the engines....who really wants some crap v6's from ford explorers and minivans? I know a handful of older supras have wound up trashed, but really the oddball semi valuable stuff isn't going to be traded in by the thousands

I guess the point is that it could be sold to someone else and used just as is, but instead the government wants to ensure that nobody else can use it. I don't really have a problem if Joe Schmo decides "Today is the day that I will crush my 1998 Explorer" drives it to a junkyard and pays them to crush it. But when the government uses my tax dollars to pay someone else to destroy their perfectly viable engine and then crush their perfectly serviceable car, I have to disagree with it. But I have a feeling destroying usable machines/businesses/energy production methods in the name of saving the environment is going to be a pretty popular thing to do in the next few decades...

Carl Sagan that is, sorry Carl!ROFL

I think that the point is well missed by all of us. We just gave billions, “billions”, of tax payer’s dollars to bail out the auto industry. This time of year most manufactures have great rebates and multiple other incentive programs. Due to the “Cash for Clunkers” program the dealer incentive programs are not nearly as large or are non-existent. That means that we, “tax payers”, are paying for our own rebate programs this year! :stupid:Again we are bailing out the manufactures to the tune of more that a billion tax payer’s dollars. As Chris touched on this greatly increases the off the lot depreciation of all new cars sold, so again we loose. You have to love it!:love: That being said: I just purchased a new vehicle, I will be picking it up Tuesday, and had I had a clunker to trade in of course I would have. To answer the question of how to make best use of the program: Any way you can, your paying for it!:tapemouth

The bumper sticker should read:

I owe, I owe, more than a trillion dollars in national debt, so off to work I, my children, my grandchildren and my grandchildren’s children go!ROFL

• 2 weeks later...

Small stimulation for the economy, reduction of inventory backlogged by dealers and manufacturers, reduced emissions, and getting folks over the scare of big ticket buying again. Was the program for everyone? No. Was it a good thing? Depends what industry you are in. If you needed a newer vehicle and were getting rid of an older car or truck with limited trade in potential it was a good deal. But like TARP if it didnt impact most people directly they think it doesnt work or was a waste.

• 2 weeks later...