IGNORED

Disassembly Day 5

CaseyByrd72

I started out with the intent on replacing the exhaust manifold on my all original '72 but it now seems there may be more I need to do. I got the manifold off tonigh with little trouble. There are a couple of studs that are stuck in the block and a thermostat bolt sheared off in the block. A little PB Blaster and I should be able to back it out. I hope I can use the vise grips on the studs after I let them soak for a few days.

I should get my headers on Tuesday. I need to replace most of my hardware and all of my gaskets. All of the original hoses will need to be replaced. I am having trouble finding replacements for the insulated hoses. Particularly the brake servo hoses.

Does anyone have any suggestions for hardware and hose replacement suppliers? I have Black Dragon and MSA but they seem to lack a lot.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks for looking.

post-19502-14150807482769_thumb.jpg

post-19502-14150807483475_thumb.jpg

post-19502-1415080748413_thumb.jpg

Wondering what happened to you.

1. You can try soaking the broken thermostat bolts with liquid wrench or kroil (kano industries, only available online), then trying to get them out with a bolt extractor. If so, be very careful NOT to break the extractor off in the bolt. After that you are pretty much done, because you will not be able to drill into the broken extractor. You'll have to have a machine shop with an electric welding device that literally melts the bolt do the work (expensive!) or

2. wait until you pull the head and let the machine shop try to get the bolts undone.

The fabric coated brake booster hose is NLA. You can get a Nissan hose that will duplicate the bends, but it does not have the braided cloth on it.

Best,

Bob

When I refreshed the cylinder head in my 72 6 years ago, I had a few studs and bolts break off in the head. At first I tried to use an ez-out, but things were not going smoothly.

I ended up just taking the thing to a local machine shop - I spent some extra cash, but I saved myself a LOT of grief.

Also, I'll second that Kroil is pretty great stuff and I need to order myself another can. I had a huge tin of it but I left it behind when I moved a few years ago :stupid:

The fabric coated brake booster hose is NLA. You can get a Nissan hose that will duplicate the bends, but it does not have the braided cloth on it.

Hi Bob:

Have you been able to buy that hose recently? I couldn't get any the last time I ordered them.

The hose that was avaiable, was the one that ended going into the end of the manifold, rather than the one that goes in on the top. So I just had to switch the position of the inlet with the plug on the end.

So even though it didn't duplicate the bends of that hose - you could still get one that works..

FWIW,

Carl B.

Unfortunately working on the Z doesn't pay the bills!

The hose that you mention below, are they only abailable through Nissan dealers?

Wondering what happened to you.

1. You can try soaking the broken thermostat bolts with liquid wrench or kroil (kano industries, only available online), then trying to get them out with a bolt extractor. If so, be very careful NOT to break the extractor off in the bolt. After that you are pretty much done, because you will not be able to drill into the broken extractor. You'll have to have a machine shop with an electric welding device that literally melts the bolt do the work (expensive!) or

2. wait until you pull the head and let the machine shop try to get the bolts undone.

Best,

Bob

Wow, if I ever need to replace my head gasket, I won't ask you for step by step dis-assembly instructions ROFL

Oh, re-assembly is simply the dis-assembly instructions in reverse. ;)

Good luck to you, when you get this back together I suspect your going to have an incredible Z. Keep the pictures coming!

I started with the idea of replacing my head gasket, instead of couple of disassembly days I feel like I'm entering day 212 of a hostage crisis! ROFLOL

Oh Well I'm making progress...I think

Good luck

Uhhh...head gaskets aren't for the area around your head...

The hose that was avaiable, was the one that ended going into the end of the manifold, rather than the one that goes in on the top. So I just had to switch the position of the inlet with the plug on the end.

I have the opposite problem on my 73', I was able to order the (non-braided) hose that goes from the booster to the check valve, but can't find a replacement for the hose between the manifold and check valve.