IGNORED

Weird Myths or Facts about your Z car

TomoHawk

A couple weeks ago, I had a guy talk to me about his Z, and told me that his was a 1981 280Z.:rolleyes:

I tried to explain nicely that the last year for 280Z was 1978, and after it was the 280ZX, but that guy was definitely convinced about his 280Z being an '81. He may get a surprise when he needs to get parts.....

A couple weeks ago, I had a guy talk to me about his Z, and told me that his was a 1981 280Z.:rolleyes:

I tried to explain nicely that the last year for 280Z was 1978, and after it was the 280ZX, but that guy was definitely convinced about his 280Z being an '81. He may get a surprise when he needs to get parts.....

Its amazing the amount of people who don't distingush between the 280Z and 280ZX. I've even seen ads on Ebay, where they will refer to a 280ZX as a 280Z.:stupid: They apparently never look at the badging on their car...

What do you say when they ask you "how fast will it go?"

"Faster than a speeding ticket and slower than a GT-R"

"Faster than a GEO and slower than a Ferrari"

"Faster than a Sneeze and slower than that drop of Blue Port-o-let water that hits your sphincter" ROFL ROFL LOL

"Faster than a speeding ticket and slower than a GT-R"

"Faster than a GEO and slower than a Ferrari"

"Faster than a Sneeze and slower than that drop of Blue Port-o-let water that hits your sphincter" ROFL ROFL LOL

ewwwww :sick:

When the flat bed delivered my 73Z from the paint shop he didn't know it was. This is a guy that has been moving cars for 10+ years. When I told him it was a 73 240Z I have been working on for 3 years he was so impressed he refused to take money. I guess there are not many here on the east coast.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope I'm not stepping out of line with a story about our '63 Datsun Roadster (it IS related to the Z after all). We were on a Sunday drive in the Roadster and passed a Nissan dealership. The 350Z had just come out and they had quite a selection, so we decided to stop by.

After a few minutes looking at the Zs, I glanced towards our Roadster and saw a small crowd of people standing around it, with a very impressive-sounding Nissan sales guy talking quite authoritatively about "the MG."

I walked over and very nicely said "actually, this happens to be a Datsun Fairlady" to which he attempted to correct me with the "fact" that Datsun didn't import any cars to the US prior to the early Z cars. I asked him to look at the badge on the center of the steering wheel, he said quite unimpressed "it's a P". I straightened the steering wheel and asked him to look again, but he wasn't buying that it was actually a lower case d.

There was only one thing left to do; I popped the hood, pointed to the VIN plate and asked him to read it. He stood there for a moment, muttered something about having to get back to work and wandered off.

However, I quickly discovered that opening the hood of a 40+ year old Datsun practically in front of the repair bays of a Nissan dealership is a good way of attracting mechanics. Several came trotting over and spent a few minutes studying the engine bay. I started getting a bit concerned that we were attracting unwanted attention, as a guy came out of the sales office and watched us with a not-too-happy look, so we beat a hasty retreat.

About the same time as MariaAz's incident, I was at the local Nissan dealer to check them out in case I needed specialized services for my Z. A salesman met me in the lot out front where the 350Zs were and I talked about my 280Z. The salesman informed me that there's no way I can have a 280Z because they stopped making those 30 years ago! :ogre: