IGNORED

Shin Yoshikawa - Aluminum S30 Chassis

26th-Z

You all probably know of Shin Yoshikawa from his impecable cut-away drawings of the Z car to name but one. Shin is also a prolific writer. We have discussed his superb book about the Toyota 2000GT, however Shin writes regularly for Nostalgic Hero magazine and was a contributing factor behind the Del Prado die-cast model racing series. Shin lives in California and operates an automotive workshop and fabrication studio. Check out Shin at http://studiotimecapsule.com/home

Some time ago, Shin and his associates built an aluminum body for a Toyota 2000GT. That was a body-on-frame design and now Shin plans to build six aluminum uni-body chassis of the S30. I talked with him this morning and he tells me that four have been committed to contract. One is to be placed as a sculptural piece in the Datsun Heritage Museum. Another is going to the Nissan museum / storage facility in Zama, I believe. Two more will be built with the idea of completing them as running cars. He tells me one in Japan will receive S20 / Z432 running gear. Check out the web site which is a fun cruise if you have never been there. He is asking $60,000 in three payments of $20,000 for the aluminum body shells. Several people have commented to me about the structural integrity of such a construction, but if you read what Shin says about it, it sounds like he has taken these things into consideration.

Edited by 26th-Z

Two more will be built with the idea of completing them as running cars. He tells me one in Japan will receive S20 / Z432 running gear.

Chris,

How would that work if you completed one as a running car in the US? Would it be drivable on the street or only on a track? I wouldn't think you could you register an aluminum recreation of a 40 year old body shell for street use without safety testing, etc.

-Mike

Chris,

How would that work if you completed one as a running car in the US? Would it be drivable on the street or only on a track? I wouldn't think you could you register an aluminum recreation of a 40 year old body shell for street use without safety testing, etc.

-Mike

it would be registered as a kit car.

How it would be registered and titled would depend on a number of things, including which State you title it in.

If you took an original 240-Z, that was titled - and swapped all the mechanical's into the Aluminum body - you would retain the original title and registration. Likewise if you adapted/used an older Corvette drive train/suspension etc.

In most States changing component parts on your personal vehicle, does not require a title/ nor registration change.

Due to changes in the laws related to getting a Title for Custom Built Cars in many States - you could request a "Custom Car Title" as:

Manufacturer = "Custom Car "

Model Year under these new laws = could be 1970,71,72,73

Year of Manufacture under these new laws = could be 1969,70,71,72,73

With the Custom Car title you may have to get a "Safety Check" by the State Police.. depends upon what State you are in. It could be driven on the streets - but is supposed to be "of limited use"... not daily transportation.

FWIW

Carl B.

Agreed. The Shin creation is just the body shell, tub, chassis, whatever and does not include any running gear, suspension, engine, glass or interior. The thing to do would be to transfer all of that from a titled car. Shin has indicated that a customer in Japan is using an S20 engine.

Edited by 26th-Z

Just got an update from Yoshikawa san. He posted new pictures on his web site. With so many questions regarding metal and body work, I thought you all would find this as fascinating as I do.

Hello Chris,

I made all aluminum door for S30.

Original was 34.8lb but new door is 19.84lb!

I put these photos on my website.

I want speak to members of Classic Z cars....

Soon I will make hood for S30.

Best Regards,

Shin Yoshikawa