IGNORED

240z Master Vac Hoses

lm71z

Hi Arne,

That is a good point.The fuel hose is soft,not like an original vac hose.

But I do not think it is collapssed when the car is running and braking.(But I can not say that for sure because I have naver seen the vac hose when the car is running)

I have been driving Z432 very often, 10000 miles in 2 years.But I do not have any trouble so far.

kats

Hello Kats, Arne,

Your point about sufficient rigidity of the fuel hose was also a concern of mine. I have two of these fuel hoses, one for each of the master vac hoses, and am planning to use 1/4 inch copper tubing inside these fuel hoses to both shape, and strenthen them.

Can you think of any reason that copper tubing wouldn't work, instead of using the brass rod that Kats used? I will also put a lenth of 1/4 inch electrical wire in the copper tubing while shaping it, just to keep the copper tubing from kinking during the bending process, then just pull the wire out (hope it doesn't bind up in the tubing).

Let me know what you guys think, and, Kats, this was a terrific idea.

Dan

I think the copper tubing to reinforce is a good idea. In my old days in auto service, I've seen booster hoses collapse under high vacuum. The brakes still work, but it leads to a significant loss of power assist. That is why brake booster hoses are all internally reinforced.

This is my fake vac hose, almost 2 years passed and added 10000 miles since then.

The last picture is for comparison, the left one is an OEM vac hose(no-cloth braided) , the right one is OEM FUEL hose(Gas tank to reservoir) which is used for fake vac hose.

kats

post-3193-14150807713904_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150807714425_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150807714964_thumb.jpg

Edited by kats

• 1 month later...

Has anybody came up with a solid solution to this ongoing challange. I had completed a nationwide dealer search for the Nissan part number and called Canada for the part number. There is one hose that is totally out of production that does not exist anymore.

WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD NISSAN DO THIS TO A BRAKE PART FOR OUR CARS?

• 2 weeks later...
Has anybody came up with a solid solution to this ongoing challange.

A solid solution, as in a solid line? Yes. I simply bent a length of 3/8" copper tubing to shape, painted it with black epoxy, and connected the two ends with short lengths of generic hose. I used a pulley wheel (i.e. for ropes) as a form for bending, so that the tubing wouldn't kink. Finally, I took my OEM vacuum line, which is still in "OK" shape, and put it in storage. My replacement is 100% functional and durable and looks quite alright.

BTW, I also replaced the rubber hose from my valve cover to my throttle body with a 1/2" painted copper line. I made my own flame arrester out of bronze screening, which I soldered into the tube.