IGNORED

Recent Just Dashes or Dashboard Restorations Experiences?

TVollnogle

The VIN number is on the dash so unless they replaced the VIN it is my dash. Just really poorly done, TWICE.

(not advertising but making a point) I (we) am in the automotive industry, www.northracecars.com we sell a lot of parts and I personally see to the quality control, we have an excellent reputation in the Mustang 5.0 world for a reason, we ship quality parts on time and they fit. I personally make it a point to do better than what I see in a lot of the industry. For example getting a kit of parts that do not fit. My Z sway bar kit, had the wrong length bolts, not a big deal but how can they ship the kit with the wrong length bolts. We try and do much better with our parts.

What I got in the way of service and product was a joke.

To be honest, I am not as mad as I am dissapointed. I specifically sent a check to them to save them the credit card fees. I was patient when they had the dash for over 8 weeks the first time. I opened the box and was almost physically ill, that is how disappointed I was. On the second time, (repeating) I SPECIFICALLY ASKED FOR PICTURES BEFORE THEY RETURNED THE DASH TO AVOID SHIPPING AND MORE DISAPPOINTMENT. They just no it is fine we are shipping it. I ASKED TO UNPACK SEND PIX BEFORE THEY SHIP.

The pictures above speak for themselves. This is my 4th Z and the nicest one I have ever owned. It just sucks to take a car all the way to a bare shell, spend thousands on parts, rebuild everything. New or redone interior, rebuilt motor, rebuilt transmission, all new suspension, New AC etc etc. Especially after starting with what was very very very rust free only to have the dash stick out like a sore thumb as something I cheaped out on. Really really disapointing.

Would anyone seriously send it back a THIRD time, seriously anyone?

JMHO, Richard.

• 1 month later...

Well I thought I would give you all an update. The dash is still here and the car is progressing. The guy at DR wants me to ship it back so he can screw it up again, and he wants me to pay for it. I have decided not to and asked for my money back, not the shipping just the money I paid for the work done ($850). I am now out about a grand and he is giving me an ultimatum on time, not sure that makes any sense. I have a feeling this is not going to end well. I will likely have to sue him in small claims court to get any money back. If I ran my business like this guy I would be out of business. JMHO, YMMV, Richard.

Thanks for "taking one for the team". I have 2 I was thinking of sending out - but now I think I will just live with the imperfections. It would be nice one day if our cars would see the thriving aftermarket of some of the other 70's era cars, but I don't think it is going to happen.

• 2 months later...

Oh no! Now, I am really getting scared. Last June 8, I sent him 2 dashbaordrestoration to work on. A few days after it arrived to Pete, he already charged my credit card. Only July 28, I asked him how it was going through email since he initially said it would take 8 weeks. July 28 would be 7 weeks already and thought it would be ready. On this date, his email reply said "a few weeks out". Early this month, I sent him an email and left him voicemails on his phone and got no reply. Today, I tried to call him again, but his phone now say it has been temporarily disconnected.

Now, I am very scared. Anyone got in touch with this guy lately? Man, all that money gone! And worst of all, MY DASH!!! Now what am I going to do?

Charles,

Let me ease some of your concern...I just received my dash from Dashboard Restorations last month. It took longer than I expected--but the workmanship was excellent! I had the center console redone at the same time and it also looks great. I am very pleased that I used this company.

I just spoke with Pete a few weeks ago--keep trying him. I know his company does all the dashes for Z Car Garage (San Jose). I know Classic Datsun has used his company, too.

Edited by Rich1

• 4 weeks later...

Well I got a nice, very nice, call from the owner of the company. Apparently they have decided to do the right thing and fix my dash correctly without charge to me; including shipping. The bad part is I need to take the car apart again to do it.

I got the call and an email last week from the owner and she was super nice about making it right.

I am going to have to wait a little while to get it fixed as the car is out of que right now. But I thought it only fair to pass the good news on as it is truly good new. HTH, Richard.