IGNORED

NGK spark plug number

guy_geo

16 hours ago, jitenshakun said:

If running a pertronix and the stock coil on a carbed L28E is the BP6ES-11 the right plug or should I run the smaller gap on the BP6ES?

Which Pertronx?  There are two models.  One can use a high energy coil, one can't.

https://pertronixbrands.com/products/pertronix-91761-ignitor-ii-adaptive-dwell-control-hitachi-6-cyl-datsun

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0247/6913/4628/files/91761.pdf

My post is there to live as an answer when someone uses google.

For example,

If you have a L24, L26, or L28E running a stock ignition coil you should use the FSM suggested gap for your carbed non fuel injected engine. BPR6ES spark plug off the shelf.

Jury is out a little on dropping the resistor and going with a BP6ES.

If you run a juiced up ignition coil run the -11 to pick up the bigger gapping.

Thats partly true. as I said, if you don't have a high enough energy coil discharge, the spark won't be able to jump a 1.1mm gap.  so you could buy - 11 plugs for that or regap any other plug. 

The heat rating of the plug (5,6,7 etc) is dependent on combustion pressure and temperature, not so much the ignition system. 

17 hours ago, jitenshakun said:

If running a pertronix and the stock coil on a carbed L28E is the BP6ES-11 the right plug or should I run the smaller gap on the BP6ES?

I think that the current-limiting Pertronix could probably fire a big gap with the right "stock coil".  The 280ZX L28E coil is different than the 1975 280Z L28E coil.  

Edited by Zed Head