IGNORED

I'm in need of a shot

ChrisZ

Do any of you have a tail light trim or grill freshly painted in the stock color, i really like to look at some photos of the stock color in order to find a matching rattle can.

Come on guys, let me have some shots:).

Chris

Yes i'm aware of Les selling matching colors but i believe i can't have it send with airmail and also the price will be in the high end after shipping and import tax is added.

Chris

I have used classic datsuns spray paint at it looks really good. The paint does "eat" into plastic trim though (tail light trim pannels on my dads 260) but over all a great finnish. For a 240, just the grill and trail light finnisher should be about a can, if you want to do hub caps too, get another can... -Todd

-have him send you a sample of the paint sprayed on something and then have it made by a local shop, maybe?

Edited by Pleiner87

Well, I strongly suspect that trying to ship paint internationally to Norway would be monstrously expensive, if not impossible. So paint from ClassicDatsun as linked above (which I used, shown in the attachment) probably isn't the answer.

Bear in mind that the original paint had no gloss, it was very dull and somewhat rough in texture. That finish is difficult to duplicate in an off the shelf spray can.

When selecting an accent color for my recent mag wheel refurb project, I found that Plasti-kote Import Color #5432 is very close, almost a dead match. The metallic content is very fine, and since it is designed for a clear coat, the gloss is subdued. If sprayed very dry and light coats, it might make an acceptable substitute. It is actually listed as a Nissan color, Nissan paint code 463 (Dark Gray Metallic), used from 1986-92.

post-8596-14150806589158_thumb.jpg

Thanks Arne, you got it almost right, except the fact that Denmark isn't the capital city of NorwayLOL

Is the dull finish like semi gloss, then a can of clear semi gloss / satin could do the job.

You say metallic content, i thought there wasn't any metallic in the color, i cant really see it, mine is so faded that i can see the primer true the grey.

The most avalible paint here is Motip, i can get Plasti-kote but not many have them in stock

Chris

A few weeks ago i called PPG in order to get the grill & tail light panel paint formula published in the "How to restore your datsun Z-car" (California Bill's) book translated in a modern paint formula (Global). This is the formula they provided me. Hoping this help.

Original formula from the book :

Ditzler Duracryl DDL 2862 Argent with quite a bit of suede additive.

1 pint DDL

200 units DX265

300 units DX264

Thin 100-150% and spray fairly dry.

Regulate air pressure to the high side

Make sure you keep the paint mixed in the cup

Don't expect any gloss as it shouldn't have any

Global_Formula_Tail light trim pannel.pdf

Thanks Arne, you got it almost right, except the fact that Denmark isn't the capital city of NorwayLOL
You know, after I posted that I went outside to mow the lawn. While mowing I thought to myself, "I think I said that wrong, I think he's in Norway." You'd think that someone of Swedish ancestry could keep his Scandinavian countries straight, but I guess not.
Is the dull finish like semi gloss, then a can of clear semi gloss / satin could do the job.
The original was totally dull/flat - no gloss at all. I tried using a satin clear coat to flatten it and it wasn't nearly flat enough.
You say metallic content, i thought there wasn't any metallic in the color, i cant really see it, mine is so faded that i can see the primer true the grey.
The original was not metallic at all. But if you spray it dry enough, the metallic tends to add some depth and make it look flatter and rougher than it really is. So while not perfect, the metallic doesn't seem to hurt. And finding an off the shelf alternative will be easier for metallics.
The most avalible paint here is Motip, i can get Plasti-kote but not many have them in stock.
That's why I gave the Nissan paint code as well. If Motip can match Nissan #463, that should be the same as the Plasti-kote.

Once again you guys are great.

You know, after I posted that I went outside to mow the lawn. While mowing I thought to myself, "I think I said that wrong, I think he's in Norway." You'd think that someone of Swedish ancestry could keep his Scandinavian countries straight, but I guess not
And i who thought that Berglund was Norwegian, it might have to be with that Arne is a more common name in Denmark and Norway than in Sweden.
The original was totally dull/flat - no gloss at all. I tried using a satin clear coat to flatten it and it wasn't nearly flat enough.

Okay i will try to get it flat

That's why I gave the Nissan paint code as well. If Motip can match Nissan #463, that should be the same as the Plasti-kote.

Yeahr that's nice i found this #951079 on Motips homepage but only as a repair stick.

I'm only freshing up the car this time, but really appreciate the formula, i will try to see if i can have it translated to whats common paint brands here when the time comes to get the whole car re painted.

If any other have clear photos, then please post them.

Chris

Not to hijack, but did they use the same color throughout the S30 years, or did it change over time?

Even if the intention was to use the same color throughout the S30 run, there would have to be slight variations that ocurred because of different parts suppliers for different parts, or even different application techniques, depending on the facility and equipment used. If one paint supplier was used for wheel covers. grills, rear tail light finisher panels, etc., there would still be different batch codes or date codes that would vary slightly. To me, close enough is close enough, but I understand how important it is to some to get it as close as possible.

I took this pic of a NOS grill. On my monitor, it looks right but what you see may differ. The finish can best be described as a "satin" finish, with a very tight mottled coloring of shades of grey and a texture that feels similar to running your finger over a piece of well used 1200 grit wet sandpaper. You can feel a slight drag or resistance. I think you would need an actual example in order to duplicate the color & texture.

Edited by geezer