IGNORED

Finding my old car

oskidunker1

I had a 72 Z which was sold by my x wife in about 1979. I no longer have the vin or any service records. any idea how I could locate the vin ? It was purchased from redwood City Datsun in 1972. I don't know if they are still there or if they would have any records.

I had a 72 Z which was sold by my x wife in about 1979. I no longer have the vin or any service records. any idea how I could locate the vin ? It was purchased from redwood City Datsun in 1972. I don't know if they are still there or if they would have any records.

DMV will not give out such info unless you are the leagal owner/resisterd owner of the vehicle. Now Carfax.com or Auto Check.com can locate the history of the car if you have a vehcle newer than 1980 in US(18 digit VIN).

But there is a loop hole. If you know anyone with a dealer's licence, and have access to "DMV's print out" you can find out registration record by VIN (or license#. But please always put yourself in current owner'shoes. If you own a beatiful wife (car) and then some X girlfriend from nowhere track it down and talk to you.......It might not be appropriate..........

This is only my opinion...so please no offense here............

Esprist

in texas your public record list any and all vehicles, homes, address that are registered or was register to you. you should have the same thing in CA. you can pay a PI. most PI's pay monthly fee to the city to have free acces to these records. but i can only speak for texas though

in texas your public record list any and all vehicles, homes, address that are registered or was register to you. you should have the same thing in CA.

Hummmm Interesting, closing what used to be "Public" Records in the States, was the result of the Federal Privacy Act. I wonder why/how Texas has been able to ignor that as it relates to "was register to you".

Of course, in the case at hand, the person wants to track down the car he owned at one point. If he had the VIN and if it was ten years ago - he could could have done that - but not today.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Hummmm Interesting, closing what used to be "Public" Records in the States, was the result of the Federal Privacy Act. I wonder why/how Texas has been able to ignor that as it relates to "was register to you".

The State (TX) tourisim slogan is, "Texas, its like a whole other Country." :)

Bonzi Lon

The State (TX) tourisim slogan is, "Texas, its like a whole other Country." :)

Bonzi Lon

LOL actually it is. Texas is the only state in the US that has a constitutional right to succeed from the United States. Like the US would actually allow that...but in the constitution Texas has the right to become its own country.

You are right Stephen. Secede. Yep, as a native of Texas I can tell you that there are many things that are unique about our state. That's what make us so likeable and in many cases, so un-likeable to many. My observation is that as time goes on, Texas is loosing those unique qualities. I admit, some will say what a shame, others will say it's about time. Off the point of this thread, so back to our regularly scheduled discussion......