IGNORED

Rear Hatch Louvers

mtndude

I am going to be removing the set that I have on my 240 and selling them this week. This is the metal (aluminum) set that has two bolted hinges on the the top that allow the whole assembly to tilt up for cleaning the glass. The unit is secured by two allen screws at the bottom against rails that run under the weatherstripping of the rear glass. I will try to take some additional pics tomorrow of the setup.

Daniel-

Tell me about the louvers and why you are selling them. PM me a price and rate them for me (1 poor to 10 excellent). They look great on your car! Let me know if there scrapes from where the louvers came off or if they rattle while you are driving.

The set Arne posted appear to be Interpart, and they do have a hinge at the top.

I had them for years on my 2+2, they rattled a bit over bumps as they got old, the anodizing faded, and the grip of the rivets loosened. I painted them black, and that took car of the noise, and the fading!

Kept the deck carpet perfect, and the contents of the hatch out of sight!

Will

Has anybody got a picture of the Dzus style fastener that attaches the lower latching point to the louver? I am guessing it is Dzus style as I haven't seen the correct fastener.

I have a set temporarily mounted on my ZX but the PO appears to have lost the proprietary fastener. If I can visualize the fastener then I should be able to fab up a replacement.

Thanks, Paul

Edited by rxsleeper
spelling

Hi,

I have louvers for sale in the classified section.

http://www.classiczcars.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3638&cat=500

These louvers hinge so that you can clean the window easily. PM me of interested.

Thanks,

Hey guys. I was wondering if people who have rear louvers can post some info about them, I know there are many different types and I'm interested in getting a set. I just don't know what to look for. Are there kinds that don't need to be bolted on or is that pretty much the only way to do it? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Got my dealer after-market style, bolt-on louvers for $20 on Craig's List. Was looking at other options and even bought the MSA ones that mount under the window seal.

Think I like the bolt-on version better, but will "test-fit" without mounting both before making a choice.

I had a set of semi-permanantly installed metal louvers on my Z for decades - secured to the hatch by metal channels that slid under the glass seal on each side and a center strip that attached to the glass with double sided tape. I don't like the bolt on type that requires drilling holes in the Z. As part of my on-goning refurb, they are now off and a new set of the metal MSA louvers await in the garage.

I watched ebay for good deals for a year or more and shipping cost was generally the deal breaker. I stop by MSA several times a year and recently picked up my set, so no shipping cost.

Dennis

I ran clamp-on type louvers for a few years in the mid-70's. They had two hooks that slid over the top (leading) edge of the hatch, and two clamps on each side that engaged the sides of the hatch. They were painted flat black and I left them that way.

Benefits - much cooler interior, much less sun damage in the luggage area (as previously mentioned), and a much clearer view out the back in the rain.

Negatives - rattled a bit, the type I had were not hinged and you had to remove the entire assembly to do a good job of cleaning the rear window. Also, the side clamps marred the paint on the hatch.

i wish i could find a new set of those Interpart louvers! Those are nice
I think the Chastain Shadow louvers were the best that were made 'back in the day'. I have a set of them on my Z and a set of the Intepart LiftLouvers on my 810. They both mount without drilling and hinge for cleaning but the fastener setup that attaches the lower latching point is better made on the Chastain louvers. The Interpart louvers use that flimsy T shaped 'key' that turns the latches into place and they sometimes bind which can cause the key to bend or break while the Chastain louvers use a brass nut over a stud.

OK, I have a set of the hinge style aluminum louvers on my 72.

240Z079-1.jpg

I have a love hate thing going with mine now. I can live with or without them. But they do give the car a whole new look from the back and side with them on.

Two draw backs with them. #1 your drilling into your hatch and giving water a whole new way inside your hatch for rust later in life. But then again Z cars dont have any rust prob. so....

#2 they make a CLANG!!! sound that you can hear from city blocks away when you close your hatch.

But they look true vintage 70s cool......

If I do keep mine I think I will be looking for a set of rear 1/4 window louvers aswell. When you put them all togather it's a neat look IMO.