IGNORED

240z wiper question

lpraun

Hi Everybody

I have a windscreen wiper question. Beside the slow operation of my windscreen wipers which seems to be standard on a 35 years old 240z I have 2 additional problems!

First the wipers does not park when I turn of the wipers – they just stop where ever they are!

And second when I run the wipers in intermediate operation the wipers only covers a little more than half the distance – for example if I turn them on (in intermediate operation) when they are parked at the bottom of the windscreen they go up and return something like an inch back from the “vertical” position – after what seems like forever they go down and returns up about two inches – forever – up returns three inches – and so on, you get the idea!

From my limited knowledge of electrics and windscreen wiper operation systems I guess that the parking and intermediate operation of the wiper is controlled by the wiper relay but I don’t know how to test it or if it maybe a result of an old and worn wiper motor.

Do you have any idea of what I could do to restore the wiper parking and intermediate operation back to normal? Later on I plan to install a modern (91 Civic) wiper motor! Would that solve all the problems?

Regards

Lars Peter

Hi Everybody

I have a windscreen wiper question. Beside the slow operation of my windscreen wipers which seems to be standard on a 35 years old 240z I have 2 additional problems!

First the wipers does not park when I turn of the wipers – they just stop where ever they are!

And second when I run the wipers in intermediate operation the wipers only covers a little more than half the distance – for example if I turn them on (in intermediate operation) when they are parked at the bottom of the windscreen they go up and return something like an inch back from the “vertical” position – after what seems like forever they go down and returns up about two inches – forever – up returns three inches – and so on, you get the idea!

From my limited knowledge of electrics and windscreen wiper operation systems I guess that the parking and intermediate operation of the wiper is controlled by the wiper relay but I don’t know how to test it or if it maybe a result of an old and worn wiper motor.

Do you have any idea of what I could do to restore the wiper parking and intermediate operation back to normal? Later on I plan to install a modern (91 Civic) wiper motor! Would that solve all the problems?

Regards

Lars Peter

First of all, many people try to put new/different motor.....,but the question is....Does that really solve its fundamental problems?

I would like to share "Do it yourself" tip here.......

1. You remove the cowl, wiper motor & regulator assembly.

(do not break all the snap rings and clips)

2. Take apart all joints of the regulator & clean with carb cleraner, then grease them up with high speed grease that you use for your wheel bearings.

3. Take apart motor and clean up brashes , gears, and all the contacts inside the relay(you have problem with this replay, and this is what brings wipers back to original position when it is turned off)

4. Paint or plate all the arms after removing rust off with steel wool.

After this whole process, you can feel a significant different in smoothness of the wiper movement. Less resistance=less current draw from the motor.

This costs under $10 including paint and grease. I hope this would answer your questions.

Esprist

post-16910-1415080641214_thumb.jpg

post-16910-14150806412416_thumb.jpg

post-16910-14150806412614_thumb.jpg

post-16910-14150806412817_thumb.jpg

Esprist, you don't know the price of paint and grease here:classic:

Lars Peter, i have a factory manual you can have a look in or you can download it here: http://www.xenons30.com/files/FSM/1973%20240z%20FSM.zip

And while i have you, can you then tell me where you got those small front parking lights from.

Chris

Esprist, you don't know the price of paint and grease here:classic:

Lars Peter, i have a factory manual you can have a look in or you can download it here: http://www.xenons30.com/files/FSM/1973%20240z%20FSM.zip

And while i have you, can you then tell me where you got those small front parking lights from.

Chris

Great info! How expensive is paint over there?

Esprist

It all depends, Duplicolor is like 25 bucks a can, but the other day i found a sale with satin black among other colors, the price was 6 bucks for two rattle cans and satin black is not everyone have around here.

Among the other colors was the one i have used on my block, i think it is pretty close to the original, it works for me.

zQNPgKSmwOQRxp3zXpIk7A?feat=directlink

Chris

post-14427-14150806414849_thumb.jpg

post-14427-14150806415442_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChrisZ

Esprist

It’s not that I absolutely must have a new wiper motor – it’s just if a new motor solves the problems with the parking and intermediate operation, then that might be the way to go. It’s also clear that a good cleanup of the motor, relay and linkage components will make the system perform better. Basically it’s not so much the speed of operation as it is the failure to park and the long wait in between the intermediate operations that bothers me. So anything that solves these two problems I am willing to do.

Chris

Thank you for the link – now at least I have a circuit diagram of the wiper system! That might shed some light on things!

I bought the small front parking light at a general auto accessory store located at Lyngby S-train station, but I guess you are able to buy them anywhere. I made the brackets myself and installed them at the front bumper(fender) brackets.

Rain-X works wonders!!!! I ran Rain-X on my street rod that didnt have wipers for over 2 years. Most of the time my windshiled was much more clear then others that had wipers running.

The only trick is putting a new coat of rain-x on after washing the car. The soap at most carwashs will strip the rain-x.

Lars Peter, i'm currently trying to track down some 7" headlights with integreted parking light, if i don't get hold of some i have to make use of your solution, what store was it, is it a member of a store chain?.

If i'm lucky to have the missing parts on friday i will be at the shop in the weekend, you can then drop by and kick some tires if you got the time.

Chris

Carguyinok

No doubt that some products are able to improve the smoothens of the windscreen to a point where the wipers become unnecessary – but it would be nice to have them operate properly anyway!

Chris

Headlights with integrated parking lights is probably the more sophisticated solution – It’s also presents a cleaner look of the car. I can not remember the name of the shop – if you end up needing some we’ll figure it out!

PM me the address of your shop then I definitely drop by!

Putting the Honda motor in with Dave Irwin's relay setup fixed my non-working wipers on my '72 240Z, and the wipers work great on low and high speed. I also cleaned all the rust off the shafts and greased them. Its not a very hard mod provided you get the correct wiper motor, and it is improved even over the stock setup when its working right. I think you should do it personally....

Greg

Lars Peter, i'm pretty sure that i will be there at saturday, i will give you a call before i leave home, i just got hold of the missing parts for lent, so i will be able to move on, i got hold of Stefan Wingquist who was kind enough to lent me flywheel bolts and oil plug, if you don't kow who he is then have a look at this: http://zclub.net/forum/rally-race/10448-copenhagen-classic-car-cup.html its a interesting write up and i think you all should make the time to read it.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Today I finally had the time to pull my wiper motor apart – I cleaned it up and fixed a loose connection in the parking locating switch, located on top of the motor/gear with a yellow and a Blue/red wire exiting from it. The problem is now that the wipers are continuously with the stick switch at the steering wheel in the off position (motor running “backwards” compared to normal operation) I figured out, that the motor running “backwards” is probably correct and then it ought to stop when it meets a certain position and the switch is activated – but it never happens, and I suspect that the switch is activated at all times, and there is a problem with the wiring or relays.

The wipers still only complete half a sweep in the intermediate position – then the relay inside the car switches off

Otherwise seems the wiper action a little stronger after the cleaning and re-greaseing of the motor.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix my problems with the parking and intermediate operation of my wipers?

Regards

Lars Peter