IGNORED

Somethin Special

The Series III 240-Z's started production 9/71. All automobile manufacturers start producing their next "Model Year " cars ahead of the current calendar year for sale in the U.S. So YES it is a 1972 Datsun 240-Z, with most of the improvements for 72 included.

The Date Of Manufacture is on the car because the US Safety and Emissions Regulations are made effective as of certain specific dates. So any car made on or after that date had to be in compliance with the laws in order to be legally sold to the public here.

Early 72 Model Year cars did not have the retractable seat belts, nor the seat belt warning light on the center console that cars produced a few months later did.

The car still has the ARA - Dealer Installed A/C evaporator and thermo contol installed in the interior, but I don't see any compressor under the hood. So when you refresh the car, you can eliminate them as well.

Looks like the heater core may have been leaking, or one of the hoses let go. So the water inlet/outlet hoses have been cut off - and a loop put in the tubes on the block. When you take the old A/C evaporator out, you'll want to replace the heater core and get new hoses to hook everything back up. If nothing else you'll defrosters for the windshield in Northern Calif.

Personally - I like the 72 Z's about the best of any of them. I also like that color combination - so I'd strip that car down to a bare shell and start on a complete "refresh". It could easily be a stunning example and a wonderful car to keep for decades to come.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck