IGNORED

Questions- FRONT Transverse link torque method

PATZ

Hi all!

As far as torquing the FRONT transverse link (suspension arm), i realize it is supposed to be fully torqued only after the car has been set down on the ground with the weight of 2 people.(I finally found our old 240Z FSM by the way). The FSM says "tighten the transverse link mounting bolt temporarily, and finally tighten to the rated tightening torque with the vehicle loaded with the standard load(2 passengers)."

Question #1- I assume temporarily tightening the mounting bolt when the wheels are still off the ground is like just a snug fit tightening? I myself just put in the bolt and put the nut on just a few turns (i might as well not have even put on the nut) such that if the hub side of the transverse link were disconnected i`d be able to push the FRONT transverse link up with ABSOLUTELY no resistance from the rubber bushing. Is what i did OK, or might i damage something? Can i just set the wheels to the ground then (w/2 people) and FULLY torque the bolts then?

Question #2- I read somewhere on this forum (think it was BEANDIP) who says that the reccomended load of 2 passengers is 300 lbs, where is this 300 lbs from? Didnt see it in the FSM nor the Haynes

Question #3- Also from the forum, someone said to put blocks under the tires before lowering the wheels and having the 2 passengers go inside. Do they mean actually putting the blocks DIRECTLY under the tires? Would it be because the whole car would sag down and might hit the floor? If so, how tall would the blocks have to be approximately? Blocks placed just under the FRONT tires, or all 4 tires (since i`ve only just replaced the FRONT bushings)? Sorry for this endless barage of questions, this is just my first attempt at doing this and i only just need to torque down the bolts and i`m through! THANK YOU!

You're making this much harder then it really is.

1. Lower the car to the ground and roll it back and forth a few feet and stop it on a level spot. Block the rear wheels to keep it from rolling.

2. Have a friend sit in the driver's seat.

3. Crawl under the car and torque the bolts.

If you can't fit under the car, park it on two wheel ramps so you can get under it. Don't worry, it won't squish to the floor, the springs hold it up.

I've got to deal with this soon as well. After replacing the springs and shocks with Tokico reds and HP blues I can't get my Sears jack under the front crossmember. I have to lift the car up a 1/2 in. to get it under. Time to buy some more tools like a low profile jack and some ramps. :)

Yep, a low profile jack would be very nice in fact, just not in my budget now. I will finish up the front tom and take a couple a days breather, then on to the rear suspension arm bushings (my first time to do)!

I did all my ball joints and tie rod ends on my Z about a couple yrs. ago with all factory parts. It's not that bad of a job if you know what your doing and have all the proper equipment and tools. Putting 2 people in the car before you do the final torquing for the transverse link??? :confused: Like said earlier "making this much harder then it really is." You can if it makes you feel better but I didn't go to that extream when I did mine. I tightened them down just snug enough, then lowered the front down onto the ramps so the full weight of the car was on then I torqued them to factory specs. Been running mine for 2 yrs. and counting with no issues what so ever. Nothing has came loose and she still rides like a new Z ;)

If you still insist of having it level on the ground plus two people in the car before you torque them to factory specs. then I hope your a super skinny person :) Like mentioned earlier by =Enigma= your luck if you can get a standard floor jack to fit under the Z much less fit your body under the front with the full weight of the car on the ground and 2 passengers sitting in your Z then find room to move your torque wrench, good luck :) Not a snowballs chance in hell with my Z anyways LOL

Edited by DatsunZsRule

DONE torquing the transverse link to chassis bolts! It must be the OC (obsessive-compulsive) in me that made me get 2 volunteers anyway to sit in the car, though they were admittedly only bout 140 lbs each. Asked a smaller (than me) guy to put a socket to the front bolt of the Right side transverse link while i torqued the nut w/ a long enough extender so that the torque wrench clears the rear of the tire and sticks out (so i`m not under the car) enabling me to sorta put some weight on it! On the Left side transverse link i had the guy put the socket on the nut, while i torqued away on the bolt (front of car) part using the same socket extender, but this time w/ the torque wrench sticking out from the front of the tire. Took a while torquing though! It was like working out at the gym! I`m only 5ft.8in. myself and weight 160lbs. so do i qualify for skinny? But really, THANKS for the tips EVERYBODY! now where are those smilies...

Well I guess the main thing is you got it done and it's working ok for you. I'm personally against using long extensions on a torque wrench and the reason why is it can throw off the ft.lbs. setting. sorry to sound critical here but after personally doing a few of them, I prefere doing things properly and doing it the easier way IF possible (Not always the case on some things however.)

Anyway good to hear you got her done and don't take my critisism personally. :) I mean well and just want you and your Z to be safe.

• 2 weeks later...