IGNORED

Still searching for dogleg with no luck

five&dime

My dad (Diseazd) Has been looking for a passenger side dogleg for his 71 240z for quite sometime. Our body guy has Tabco pieces but he doesn't like them. He is a perfectionist and looking for original Nissan piece.

He is even less enthusiastic about Wolf steel/alfa parts so......

If anyone has or knows where we can find a passenger RUST FREE dogleg, please let us know. Even if it's on a car and needs to be cut out. We will pay for labor depending on the cost of course. For anyone who is not sure what the dog leg is, it's the outer metal b/t the rear end of the rocker panel (below the door) and the front of the rear wheel arch.

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

Edited by five&dime

To my knowledge Nissan never offered a patch panel for the rear quarters. I would also seriously doubt you'll have much luck finding a dog leg on a parts car that isn't already eaten up by rust. They all seem to rust from the inside out, so by the time you cut one out of an existing car - you'll usually find a great deal of rust damage already done.

Your body man seems to be very good - but I think he will find that the TABCO patch panels are about as good as he will find - short of hand hammering one himself.

Of course you could always supply him with a NOS quarter panel - I think they sell for around $650.00 each now. He could cut the dog leg off that...

FWIW,

Carl B.

My dad got the rear quarter from Arizona Z last year. He has been hoping that they have another one but no luck thus far. We were hoping someone else had a decent rear quarter they could cut out. I would imagine there has to be plenty of good ones on wrecks in AZ and CA.

Our body guy said he could probably make due with the Tabco if he combines two of them. We really want OEM though since that has been the case with all other parts on this resto.

Edited by five&dime

I just got new rear quarters from Tabco. My body guy hates them. He especially hates the fit of the dogleg portion. The back section does not have the bumper indent that's on 73s and earlier, either. He says he'll make it work, but he's not impressed.

FWIW,

I used the Tabco panels (bought them from Black Dragon) for my 73, and I thought the fit was pretty good. I'm an amateur bodyman (not a perfectionist necessarily), but I've done a few similar jobs on non-Z's over the years. They took a little tweaking, and I had to trim the inside fender lip because it was way to wide, but I thought it fit pretty well.

Edited by Weasel73240Z

Good work no doubt. Our body guy is an absolute perfectionist. It has to be OEM or better :) He refuses to cut any corners. Here are a few detail shots. Check out how he drilled out the welds on the master cylinder access door latch. I assume he is moving it slightly so it's perfect. The body gaps are better than factory now. This guy is truly an artist. Unfortunately for my dad, I am sure the price tag will reflect the guy's skills :)

post-16082-1415080586968_thumb.jpg

post-16082-14150805870346_thumb.jpg

Edited by five&dime

five&dime,

Those thumnail could be my 72 240Z.... I've been focused on the tip of the fender nearest to the rear view mirrors..... I'm also moving the passenger side inspection cover latch bar... My front fenders are Tabco via Black Dragon...

Jay

Not just a Z - zdisease