IGNORED

Rear Disc Conversion

Mike

Eric Chapman made a conversion kit for the early Zcar for disc brakes. I researched this heavily and was able to talk with him on the phone. The following are notes from a conversation that I had with him.

Questions for Eric Chapman’s Rear Disc Setup:

What is included in the kit?

2 brackets and bolts that hold calipers to bracket

What else will I need to purchase?

280zx – 79 thru 81 calipers, rotors, & master cylinder (240z not compatible but, not strong enough)

What year discs to use?

See above

How do they fit? Over the existing spindle?

Bolt right on spindle.

Take drum brake cover off.

His bracket bolts on to brake cover 4-bolt pattern. Use lock-tite.

Remount spindle.

Will my existing system remain unharmed and unmodified?

yea

What calipers to buy? Year? Nissan wants $350/ea

Get ‘em from junkyard. Try to find some that are good looking shape. Minimal rust. Look at dust seal. If it’s good, get it. If it’s leaking, don’t do it.

Toyota 4-piston calipers?

Too much brake for the rear. Not compatible. It will make your rear-end lock up.

How does the emergency brake connect?

Connects up just fine.

Flip cables at junction to shorten them.

Doesn’t affect operation.

Do I have to modify master cylinder?

No, get 280zx unit

Nopi auto parts (turbo mag) huge import place 800-277-6674

Tell ‘em z-car club

Do I have to modify hydraulic braking system at all?

Remove the pressure switch under the master cylinder.

Any modifications by me such as welding or sawing required?

no

Do you have any recommendations for part manufacturers?

Wheel bearings

Buy stock

SKF are good too

NSK are very very good… add more balls to bearing.

Brake pads

Call Nopi

Lucas Gurling (maybe called Axis now)

I decided to remain stock. If you have a lot of cash and time this might be a good conversion. But, I didn't want to mess with my master cylinder or deal with braking issues. Of course, I did a whole new restoration, so I wanted to put my money in other places.

[m]

• 1 year later...

So why would you want to put rear disc brakes on a 240z anyway? The stock rear drums have a larger braking surface area than 280zx disc brakes anyway, hence more braking force, so unless you were racing the car and were worried about cooling issues I dont see a reason to do it.

Mr C

Larger braking surface area does NOT necessarily imply more braking force. Certainly Nissan had to design a system that properly biases the front to ensure they lock before the rears in both the Z and ZX systems. Benefits of rear discs is that it is possible to bias more to the rear since disks are less prone to lockup than drums. Also, disks will provide more consistent braking than drums under hard usage, whereas as the drum brakes' shoes wear and cause a long pedal. That's the main reason I went to the ZX rear disks, to keep from having to adjust the drums at the track, and so I could have the same pedal height at the end of a track session as at the beginning. They worked great at Lime Rock last Tuesday compared to the drums.

All that said, I believe the drums are more than adequate for 98% of all 240Zs.

• 1 month later...

I was talking about the four wheel vented disc conversion that used Wilwood 4 piston calipers and 11" rotors all around. It was about 1500 bucks for the whole set-up. Or did I see that on another site?

I just went back to strictlyz and now I don't see it. Now I'm wondering where I did see it. I was sure I saw it just last month on their site, or did they discontinue it to make me think I'm losing my mind?

I seem to remember talking to someone awhile back about some brackets to do a disc conversion. Take a look at the REVIEW area on this site to read a discussion I had with him....

I didn't do a disc conversion on my 240z because I was intimidated with the proportioning valve issue. But, it looks like MSA has an adjustable proportioning valve for this reason. Anyone have experience with this? I'd like to go with discs on my 240z now that I know more about how it works....

[m]

If you do the conversion to rear discs from a ZX don't you use the proportioning valve from the ZX?? Of course you could always go with the adjustable if you wanted to. I've read quite a few things on the rear disc set-up including using the Nissan truck master cylinder (1 inch). I just wish I could find where I saw the 4 piston four wheel vented rotor set-up. Must be losing it............

This is only my opinion but on a street car rear discs aren't really necessary. The ZX conversion would be OK but anything more would be overkill.

On the race track we could only wish we had more brakes. Of course our enemy was heat with the front discs not being vented. For my street car I'm planning on going the four piston calipers in front and leaving the rears alone with some good shoes. Of course when I raced my 280 I was at a serious disdvantage since I was carrying extra weight with the same brakes as a 240. If I was going to race in E Production I would definately go with discs in the rear since I'd be running on slicks instead of DOT tires.

Yes it was on StricytlyZ.com we just decided to pull it from the site.

You can still get it but just go Direct from Arizona ZCar its the same kit.

Also the brackets we carry Were mfg for DANDOS in freemont. He carries them and has also installed them on many z's..

Originally posted by 2ManyZ's

I was talking about the four wheel vented disc conversion that used Wilwood 4 piston calipers and 11" rotors all around. It was about 1500 bucks for the whole set-up. Or did I see that on another site?

I just went back to strictlyz and now I don't see it. Now I'm wondering where I did see it. I was sure I saw it just last month on their site, or did they discontinue it to make me think I'm losing my mind?

• 9 months later...

I just bought the Nissan adaptors for the 240Z rear brake conversion to 280ZX disc brakes. Has anyone else done this using the nissan adaptors? From what I can find about the ZX, they had disc brakes on both the front and back. I'm not sure which I need for the conversion - I've been told to use fronts but before I go pull parts it'd be nice to hear from someone who's done this before. I've seen this http://www.zdriver.com/articles/full_article.php?ID=11 but I'm not sure these are the same adaptors. Anyone have first hand knowledge?

Thanks

Michael

• 1 year later...
Originally posted by mperdue

I just bought the Nissan adaptors for the 240Z rear brake conversion to 280ZX disc brakes. Has anyone else done this using the nissan adaptors? From what I can find about the ZX, they had disc brakes on both the front and back. I'm not sure which I need for the conversion - I've been told to use fronts but before I go pull parts it'd be nice to hear from someone who's done this before. I've seen this http://www.zdriver.com/articles/full_article.php?ID=11 but I'm not sure these are the same adaptors. Anyone have first hand knowledge?

Thanks

Michael

I think this is the first hand knowledge you are looking for:

Part #44155-04S10 Factery Nissan brackets from an early Maxima

Total cost for both was 145.00 (inluding. Ca. sales tax)They are on my 72 240 as we speak. I searched high and low at the wrecking yard for these parts and was unable to dind them, so I bought new. Took only a week to get

Mike