IGNORED

Kidney, Anyone? Mint 1979 Honda Civic

Mike

12-08-2008 02:37 AM

1979hondacivic1.png

This 1979 Honda Civic doesn’t quite have the low mileage as the 1427-mile Mazda RX-4 from last week, but it’s close. No one’s going to complain about a 33,000-mile car that’s 30 years old, especially not one in this condition. Vintage Honda expert Ken Weidner says that it’s been years since he’s seen in-tact houndstooth upholstery.

This looks to be a dealer showroom display, and with an asking price between the highest bid of $4550 and the BuyItNow $6250, we think it’s a pretty good buy for a collector. Dan is our resident classic Honda nut, and I had to personally stop him from selling all his worldly possessions and rushing out to Arizona. The reserve hasn’t been met yet, so it’s still in Phoenix waiting for a good home.

More pics after the jump.

1979hondacivic1-150x150.png 1979hondacivic2-150x150.png 1979hondacivic3-150x150.png 1979hondacivic4-150x150.png [eBay]

More...

My first car! I bought it new shortly after my 19th birthday in Nov of '79! I paid $4950 for it so in 2008 dollars, not a bad deal.

I didnt get anywhere near that mileage, my pedal was always mashed. I drove it about 3 years, 65,000 miles. I only remember putting front brake pads and a water pump on it, other than that, ran like a clock.

That looks exactly like my parents first Honda... and they have been buying Hondas ever since.

Our Civic was slightly damaged in transit from Japan so it had a small (12" x 12") patch on the hood where the dealer had to re-spray the yellow paint. I remember that patch well... the dealer paint and the factory paint would fade at different rates, so every 3 months or so my dad would make me use rubbing compound over the entire car. The patch would virtually disappear for a few months, then it would be time to break out the rubbing compound again!