IGNORED

Seat belt options s30,240z??

rahail240

I've chosen the MSA 3 pt harness as well.

My Z is a 72 and it fits fine. I'm 6'2 and I don't have any big complains.

Or maybe a very small one, retractor touches the back of the seat; it makes a small squel noise when you move. I've fixed it by bending a little bit the bracket behind the seat to get more clearance and it is all good (but if there's a crash, bracket will want to become straight again - Not sure how good is it since it will get nore energy then during crash)

Other drawback, the buckle is always falling between seats and center console/armrest. It is sometimes a pain to get.

Edited by Lazeum

• 8 months later...

Did the MSA seat belt kit come with replacement bolts or did you reuse your existing ones? I'm missing the shoulder belts and bolts and was thinking of going the MSA route. If they don't provide the bolts does anyone know what size should be used?

I've been looking at a pair of these. I like the more vintage style of the aircraft type buckle.

http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=sbp&Product_Code=WSCH300&Category_Code=3-Point-Retractable-Seat-Belts

They sell a hardware kit to go with them, if needed. They can do this because our seatbelt bolts are not metric, as the US regulations of the day included the requirement that manufacturers use only bolts that met their specifications. And in a fit of self-centered Americanism, the specs called for 5/8" (non-metric) Grade 8 bolts. So the seatbelt bolt in a 240Z are essentially the same as those used in a similar age Ford, VW, MG or whatever.

I've been looking at a pair of these. I like the more vintage style of the aircraft type buckle.

http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=sbp&Product_Code=WSCH300&Category_Code=3-Point-Retractable-Seat-Belts

They sell a hardware kit to go with them, if needed. They can do this because our seatbelt bolts are not metric, as the US regulations of the day included the requirement that manufacturers use only bolts that met their specifications. And in a fit of self-centered Americanism, the specs called for 5/8" (non-metric) Grade 8 bolts. So the seatbelt bolt in a 240Z are essentially the same as those used in a similar age Ford, VW, MG or whatever.

Thanks for that information Arne. Those belts at Seat Belt Plus are interesting. Since the belts are missing from my car I don't really know what size to be ordering. The MSA one was made to fit the 240z so I wasn't concerned about it. What size are you thinking of? Do you think it will be a swap with existing mounting points?

Greg

The shoulder belt in a 3 pt belt tends to rub on your neck in the S30. The stock shoulder belt is fine because you can add slack. A retractor based 3 pt keeps some tension on the belt at all times. It will vary depending on how tall you are, how you sit in the seat, etc.

I just installed this spring a set from MSA. I also installed a new interior and these do look great with easy in and out.

I do have to agree with the above statement. I am 5'10" and the shoulder belt does rub on my neck as well. I would rather have some protection vs. no protection. That steering wheel would do some damage. Install was very easy unless you have put Dynamat in and covered up your mounting holes.........if so get a nail set and find your screw holes and cut out around them.

Let us know your results.

7/16-20 UNF-2A grade 8 is the word you were looking for. In a hex bolt the head would be a 5/8" hex.

Current FMVSS 209 ...

(f) Attachment hardware. A seat belt

assembly shall include all hardware

necessary for installation in a motor

vehicle in accordance with Society of

Automotive Engineers Recommended

Practice J800c, ‘‘Motor Vehicle Seat

Belt Installation,’’ November 1973.

However, seat belt assemblies designed

for installation in motor vehicles

equipped with seat belt assembly anchorages

that do not require anchorage

nuts, plates, or washers, need not have

such hardware, but shall have 7⁄16–20

UNF–2A or 1⁄2–13UNC–2A attachment

bolts or equivalent metric hardware.

We've become a little more progressive and actually allow metric hardware these days. I'm going to see if I can dig up an old copy of the standards.

Steve

I just installed this spring a set from MSA. I also installed a new interior and these do look great with easy in and out.

I do have to agree with the above statement. I am 5'10" and the shoulder belt does rub on my neck as well. I would rather have some protection vs. no protection. That steering wheel would do some damage. Install was very easy unless you have put Dynamat in and covered up your mounting holes.........if so get a nail set and find your screw holes and cut out around them.

Let us know your results.

While I procrastinate on building a web guide to properly position my shoulder belt I use a web clip from a child car seat. It's used to position the vehicle seatbelt properly when not using LATCH to secure the child seat. I use it to block the web from retracting while I use the belt so it adds a little slack to the belt for comfort. Not ideal but it works. I don't know where they came from, they were just in a bunch of leftover parts at work.

Steve

• 11 months later...
Hi. Cant find the kit online. Anyone have a link?

Search on here for my posts on WESCO. They have good products. I prefer what they call roadster style belts. They are easier to use than the kit MSA sells. WESCO also has the hardware included.

Good thread. I am looking at replacing the seat belts in my own cars and this is good information.

Just a note about who you might get to do any stitching on seat belt webbing and not wanting to put a dampener on a cheap solution to a problem.

Up until recently I have been involved in vertical roping (climbing, caving, rescue) including the testing and evaluation of equipment. Seat belt webbing is used in some equipment manufactured for these purposes and the stitching is most important if the webbing is supposed to be able to perform the way we would want it to work when it is shock loaded.

I am not saying that a boot maker cannot possibly do this work to the degree required for these applications but I would think that personally, I would be generally more comfortable taking the items to an outdoor shop that deals in climbing gear and have them send it off to an entity they recommend for the task.

As an additional consideration, with vertical activity software - harnesses, ropes, slings - there is usually a maximum life specified of up to a maximum of five years even for equipment that is unused. I am not suggesting that this be applied directly to seat belts but it is something to consider for our 30+ year old cars. Certainly any belts that have been involved in a significant incident or that show any signs of wear, should be replaced.

FWIW

Dave

As an additional consideration, with vertical activity software - harnesses, ropes, slings - there is usually a maximum life specified of up to a maximum of five years even for equipment that is unused. I am not suggesting that this be applied directly to seat belts but it is something to consider for our 30+ year old cars. Certainly any belts that have been involved in a significant incident or that show any signs of wear, should be replaced.

FWIW

Dave

The age of the belts in my cars was a huge factor in me looking to purchase replacement belts. Also, I don't know how robust the inertia locks are and whether or not they can be easily replaced/repaired.

Steve