IGNORED

Seat belt options s30,240z??

rahail240

hi guys. i was wondering what options/upgrades has anyone fitted regarding seat belts?

MSA have a three point system for sale. looking at the pic though it looks like it may have issues with the seat sliding back.

anyone had one fitted or any advise on this issue?

post-14113-14150805416738_thumb.jpg

I Just installed the kit before Thanksgiving. Overall, I am happy with the kit, even though the retractor does not fit in the stock location. I can see your point about the rectractor touching the seat back if it is pushed all the way back. My original set was just too old and dirty to put back into a restored interior. Hope this helps!

Bill

...even though the retractor does not fit in the stock location.

The stock floorboard retractor pockets were added around 9/71. I know this because my 9/71 car came with the pockets but without actual retracting seat belts. The earlier non-retracting belts only needed one bolt at the floor mounting point instead of two bolts needed by the retractor mechanism. My car came with rubber plugs in the unused second bolt hole.

If the MSA system was designed to exactly replace the stock system they wouldn't work in '70 and '71 models and therefore they'd either be limiting their target audience or would need to have two separate systems depending on the model.

Mike,

Great point. After I read your post, I realized my wording was unclear. I should have indicated that my 1972 had the recess for the retractor unit, and in a perfect world, MSA's unit would fit in the stock recess. Thanks!

Bill

The shoulder belt in a 3 pt belt tends to rub on your neck in the S30. The stock shoulder belt is fine because you can add slack. A retractor based 3 pt keeps some tension on the belt at all times. It will vary depending on how tall you are, how you sit in the seat, etc. Most have no problems. The D loop mount geometry is not exactly ideal for both comfort and safety (only at the extreme limits) . I work at a place that makes seat belts and I designed a custom system for my Z. Dual sensitive retractor, high g buckle, high strength webbing. The dual sensitive retractor has to be oriented in a particular manner to work properly and I had to design a high strength steel bracket to tether the retractor to the original retractor mount points. It's way overkill as the car it's attached to doesn't have the structure to protect me in any crash that would stress the belt system.

post-14809-14150805418284_thumb.jpg

post-14809-14150805419085_thumb.jpg

hi bill. my car is a 73 with the recess points.

thanks.

My Z is also a '73. What I did was to use a set of retractor solder belts from a '75 280. The retractor units attach at the same place the old ones did. The metal fitting will not attach to the lap belt of the '73 belt . So I cut the stitching and removed the metal clip form the 240 belt and did the same on the later one and took the belts to a shoe shop. They stitched the belt and 240 clip exactly where the old stitching was and you would never know it wasn't stock. I can now adjust the radio or heater and or air vents while driving without unclipping the belts.

Gary

hi gary.

i really like how everyone finds there own ways to solve whatever issues they have with there z's.

however due to the fact that most of my interior is new i fear that a set of twenty or so year old belts may stand out.

i'll see if anyone else posts other options.

if not i'll go the MSA route.

but only when the british pounds gets stronger against the dollar. :(