Arne

What's in YOUR garage?

Nice shops. Wish mine had the tools some of you have. :)

When this one is finished it will house the car in my avatar, an '82 slicktop ZX (future race car) and the pieces from my last two parts cars.

Not enough room for the "regular cars":

'04 RX8 Gray Daily driver

'04 RX8 Green Oldest son's

'08 CX7 GT Wifes

'94 Impreza younger son's

'03 Chevy 2500HD diesel Tow vehicle

post-10161-14150804630133_thumb.jpg

2005 Honda S2000 1972 240Z

l_9738b1ca00c93608bd883c86db111be5.jpg

I also have a 68 Camaro RS in the 3rd that I am currently restoring.

We daily drive a Honda Fit and tow our toys with a Nissan Titan.

Edited by gotswap

I'm actually most intrigued by the Corsair. That aircraft, the P-51 and the Supermarine Spitfire all share my appreciation equally! What is it "they" say, "beauty follows function"?

Welding and and proper use of the metal lathe are two of the primary mechanical skills that remain on my wish list to be minored (as opposed to being mastered, as I wouldn't be so presumptuous to think that's possible without beginning at a much earlier time in life- not that I'm an old dog. Arf. ROFL) Or is that a demonstration of "rolling over"? :D I'd like to be much better with the brake, plasma cutter and milling machine too.

I haven't flown in years. It's just too expensive with the cost of AVgas and rental. That's why I'm building a homebuilt. On an experimental you can do all the maintenance and inspections yourself and save$$. At age 8 I saw my first Z about the time I was watching Black Sheep Squadron (TV show with F4U's) and fell in love with both machines. Got my Z at around age 20 and 19 years later I'm half finished with the plane. :) I agree. The planes of that era are very much like our Z's in the fact that there's a certain magnetism to them.

I think you'd be surprised how easy it is to pick up machining/welding. I went to Vo-Tech for a few months and learned enough. It's surprising when you find how many people have this sort of hobby/inclination. Thought I was unique! (Just average) It took years of shopping and saving to equip the shop. Nowdays the equpiment is becoming very affordable. (Check out Grizzly Industrial and Enco) I'm not rich and earn an average income. Wish I had kids but the wife and I were too old by the time we were ready. (She turns 43 this year) W/o kids what's a guy to do... Build a dream shop!

A half scale F4U...

DavidCoghillFLY.jpg

post-12438-14150804638189_thumb.jpg

Got my 1970 240z and a nice Kawasaki Eddie Lawson Replica.

You can also see my old snowmobile and when I look in this morning.................. a lot of children toy in the entrance!

post-17119-14150804638428_thumb.jpg

post-17119-14150804638567_thumb.jpg

I haven't flown in years. It's just too expensive with the cost of AVgas and rental. That's why I'm building a homebuilt. On an experimental you can do all the maintenance and inspections yourself and save$$. At age 8 I saw my first Z about the time I was watching Black Sheep Squadron (TV show with F4U's) and fell in love with both machines. Got my Z at around age 20 and 19 years later I'm half finished with the plane. :) I agree. The planes of that era are very much like our Z's in the fact that there's a certain magnetism to them.

I think you'd be surprised how easy it is to pick up machining/welding. I went to Vo-Tech for a few months and learned enough. It's surprising when you find how many people have this sort of hobby/inclination. Thought I was unique! (Just average) It took years of shopping and saving to equip the shop. Nowdays the equpiment is becoming very affordable. (Check out Grizzly Industrial and Enco) I'm not rich and earn an average income. Wish I had kids but the wife and I were too old by the time we were ready. (She turns 43 this year) W/o kids what's a guy to do... Build a dream shop!

A half scale F4U...

DavidCoghillFLY.jpg

Looks great! When do you anticipate first flight? I too fell in love with the Corsair from that show, and the hard-living Pappy Boyington was an idol, along with Gen. Chuck Yaeger. When my Dad was 13 during WW2, he worked at the Vought factory at Stratford, Conn. making landing gear parts for the Corsair, another connection with this plane. It's great how people can literally fall for inanimate objects of great beauty. I've seen the scale Spitfire too. Maybe some day I'll build one of those, and we'll fly into Oshkosh together in scale warbirds! I wonder if the L-24 would be too heavy for aviation usage? I also thought I'd take a vocational course in welding and metalwork to learn the basics. Best of luck to you!

Not all of my family or friends understand this. Some even call my Z "that old POS!" Their loss to not appreciate the mixing of such grace with so much power and gorgeous lines. Age has nothing to do with it.

Edited by Poindexter

JimmyZ/Poindexter:

Way off topic - but what the heck..

I built models of all the WW-II planes in the mid to late 50's. I was 10 to 15 years old then. My father had gone to Emery-Riddle Flight School in the 20's and I used to have his Bearskin Flying Gloves. (lost them somehow during my homeless days).

By the mid 60's I was in college - and got my Private Ticket at Lane Aviation, Port Columbus International Air Port. Loved learning how to fly, and for the first few years it was affordable.

By the late 60's early 70's I was in the Air Force - and making something like $350.00 per month - the cost of private planes was just too high and I have to admit that having been there and done that, I wasn't as motivated as I used to be. A few friends had planes and I'd fly with them every one-in-awhile.

Funny thing was, by the mid 70's, 80's and 90's I was working on engineering programs for the F-14, F-16, AV8-B, F-18, F-22..(among other things).

By the 90's I was getting old, eyes going South and problems with my heart... so I was grounded for good.

Nonetheless, like you guys - I still love to see the war birds from WW-II. Personally I'd like to have an ME-109 or P-51... but it doesn't look like that's going happen.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Wish I had kids but the wife and I were too old by the time we were ready. (She turns 43 this year)

She's young by todays standardsLOL

If you had told me, when I was 49 that I'd be having kids again, I would have told you that you were nuts. Lucky that we never know what life will hold for us tomorrow.

At 50 I had my first Daughter - quite a surprise - and completely different than raising the boys (now 39 and 36). My wife was 41 and more surprised than me. My Daughter has been a complete joy.....

You never know...

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck

JimmyZ/Poindexter:

Way off topic - but what the heck..

Funny thing was, by the mid 70's, 80's and 90's I was working on engineering programs for the F-14, F-16, AV8-B, F-18, F-22..(among other things).

By the 90's I was getting old, eyes going South and problems with my heart... so I was grounded for good.

Nonetheless, like you guys - I still love to see the war birds from WW-II. Personally I'd like to have an ME-109 or P-51... but it doesn't look like that's going happen.

FWIW,

Carl B.

I have a Hobby Model balsa kit of an F4U from the '40's. (still in box) It was given to me by a girlfriends father years ago. Made a few plastic models when I was a kid but my paint jobs were God awful.

There was a fellow named George Cauthin (RIP) who made the first 1/2 scale F4U 30 years ago. He worked for Skunkwerks. Who knows? You may have met him!

Carl there's always ultralights. No license needed. :) Several of my friends who fly them have tried to get me to build one... Something to fly in the interim. Just look out for all of the traffic in your area. It's amazing how much Central FL has grown RE controlled airspace and traffic. Sadly I think we are seeing the end of general aviation. My generation is probably the last to truly enjoy it. The last time I flew the Stearman it was $180/hr. (7yrs ago) Now with aviation insurance rates/availability being what they are I might be able to get checked out in a Cub for that much $$/hr!! (It's probably closer to $150/hr)

There's a P-51 which is available for rides in Kissimee. http://www.stallion51.com/ Even though it's $1600+ per hour it would be well worth it. :)

RE Wifey.. She takes her "vitamins" regularily. Believe me I've really tried the few times she's slipped and forgot her prescription. :):)

Cya,

Jim

I flew with my Dad growing up....He owned 2 different Navions, 2 different 310'S , 2 different Twin Bonanza's and a Beech Barron, We had a friend in Georgia that owned 2 B- 26's , a Bearcat, and a P-51 at the same time. We used to tell him that all he needed to do was find " a weak country"? What's in your hangar?

I am confused. Can you actually fly the 1/2 scale WWII bird or is it RC?

BTW, in my garage-

1972 Datsun 510

1992 BMW 525i

+ tons of 510 parts :)\

As well as my 1987 pathfinder SE for sale on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=110292217822

Edited by Zero Z

In the front shop, an '86 Daytona Turbo Z I'm piecing back together after being gutted for various reasons, also a bunch of odd car parts, '66 Poly 318, various 2.2/2.5 Chrysler engines (turbo and non-turbo), grond effects for my Chargers, SB Chrysler heads and blocks, and lots of other stuff. In the back shop is my '72 240Z and my '89 Lebaron project, along w/ a whole bunch of car parts, mostly Chrysler engine parts and engines. I can actually have at least 6 cars under a roof between the two shops if they are cleaned out properly, and there is another where I keep the mower that could house a 7th in a pinch ;)

Wow! I love this thread - the S2000, John Deere tractors, Eddie Lawson replica bike, the plane stuff - it all has me envious!

BTW - just was in Orlando area and spent some time at my folks' house in DeLand - not far from Mt. Dora. A few years back there was a car show that featured some prominent Ferraris IIRC.

My garage (mostly in my sig):

1972 Datsun 240Z

1966 Jaguar E-Type

1967 Honda CL/77 Scrambler

SCAG SSZ 52" Commercial Mower

Homebuilt canoe (ok - it's only half completed...it's a "round TUIT" project)

Barbie Jeep (my girls' ride)

Part of my scuderia, but not IN the garage:

2000 Lexus GS400 (daily driver)

2003 Honda Pilot (my wife's daily driver)

My M Roady and Z have to share space with the wife's Odyssey. Today they got to stretch out a little when she went out for some errands...

post-7009-14150804648652_thumb.jpg

1972 240Z, 78 K miles (resto-mod in-progress)

1997 Lexus ES 300, 140K miles (DD)

1996 Lexus SC 300, 150K miles (Wife's car)

80's Seafarer 30 Sailboat. (not really in the garage, in the water).

I've always loved aviation. In fact, I started college as an aero engineer in the mid 70's. Even TA'd the flight sim lab. After a year I saw the writing on the wall regarding job availability/security and moved over to major in MechEngr.

Never got my pilot's license, but have flown a number of aircraft, including some aerobatics in a Citabria and an AT-6. (It was a blast!). When I was younger, I never had the money to pursue my license and now the eyes are going south.

Did fly RC planes for about 5 years, but gave it up to have a sailboat. I have only so much free time and the boat requires a lot of maintenance. In fact, the boat has suffered from neglect over the last year because of the Z restoration and home projects. I'll pay for that in many additional hours of labor next Spring. Probably something like 100 hours... (arrrgg!)

I am confused. Can you actually fly the 1/2 scale WWII bird or is it RC?

Yes! You actually get to fly it! It's a bit cramped but there are a few 6'4" pilots who can squeeze in. The cockpit is 24" wide.

Here's a website I inherited from a friend who passed away. (No, he didn't die flying)

http://warbuddies.homestead.com/

RE Poindexter's query about when it will be finished... If I had six months of free time and money it would be done. Some of these planes have taken 12 years to finish.

houston_war_f4_u_photo_10.jpg

Jim

Edited by JimmyZ

Flying is "Hours and hours of monotony enterlaced with moments of sheer terror!" And rememember..... a good landing is one you walk away from.

Well, I dont have any aircraft but I do have a few trinkets in the ol' car hole.

1950 Chevy Fleetline Deluxe

1976 280Z

1974 VW beetle

1973 Fiat 850 Spyder

I have a soft spot for rear engine cars.

After owning a 64 Ford Fairlane, my Z is my first truly powerful car.

Still regret selling the ford though...

I got a 50 x 100 quonset out here on the farm.

1955 chev 2 door sedan

1956 2 door ranch wagon

1972 ford 1/2 ton

1972 zcar

1974 buick apollo

1977chev nova

My garage is full of crap!!! (for now)Just moved down here (dallas oregon)and still not unpacked. I'll have to update this post oh in ABOUT A YEAR!! At least thats how is feels anyway...... But as for my shop and what I do in it. check out my myspace photos under my passion/work. @ myspace.com/johnnyzzz13

you'll have to request me to be a friend. you'll enjoy it!

Johnny...

Just the cars in my sig line are in my side of the garage:

?action=view&current=garage002.jpg

On the avaition theme, I still do build model aircraft, here are a couple of photos of my competed models:

Focke Wulf Fw190-F8

models1204019B.jpg

Supermarine Spitfire Mk II

DSC_0090.jpg

JZM. You do realize that probably .001% of this forum is on myspace right? :) Why not just post the pix?

Edited by Zero Z