IGNORED

water temp sensor/thermotime switch ID

IdahoKidd

Actually, I haven't gotten to that point yet. I was intending to start her up this evening - after checking for continuity on the thermotime and water temp sensor harness, rebuilding the fan clutch, remounting the fan/fan clutch and radiator fan shroud, and filling/burping the new aluminum radiator. Now I won't have to check the continuity - one less thing to do tonight. Thank you.

• 5 years later...
On 9/15/2008 at 9:30 AM, sblake01 said:

Keep us posted. How did you get around the three row pulley problem? Nissan did it by moving the fan on the ZX forward which is not an option on the 280Z.

Doing some late night (early morning) research, and saw this.  I just got done putting a ZX engine with the 3 row pulleys in my 76 Z.  Didn't notice the 3 row pulley and it's clearance problem til it was installed...   I could have tried to remove it by removing the crank etc...  Didn't want to do that.

I ended up making a "spacer" with longer bolts (with a short hex cap) installed from the back, then added 2 nuts from the front, moving the fan about 1" forward.  This cleared the pulley, and didn't touch the radiator.  Yes, it sticks out about 1/2' from the shroud, which isn't ideal, but it works for now.  Made sure everything was tight and lined up good.  Engine has run and does not loosen the connections.  While testing the timing, the strobing of the timing light showed that all the nuts/fan connection line up almost perfectly, so it is balanced.

HTH those who need some improv ideas.  

Also I believe the 3 row pulley is needed for power steering only.  I can get an AC belt on mine now, but it goes on the 2nd pulley.  

• 1 month later...
On 6/7/2016 at 6:47 PM, sblake01 said:

Wow!  A quote from almost 8 years ago.  Back when I was still active and still had my Datsuns. 

Haha I remember when I first got the Z 6 years ago sblake provided me with lots and lots of help!     I never forget those sort of things!     Also, since I assume the internet isn't going anywhere anytime soon, it's worth my time to contribute where I can, so the info will be there for others in the future.  Time sure does fly by though...

It feels good to finally be able to give back some information to help others.