IGNORED

water temp sensor/thermotime switch ID

IdahoKidd

I finally have this car up and running but the cold start injector doesn't fire when hooked up. It does fire when triggered when tested. The engine temp doesn't seem to come up above 120 according to the gauge. I noticed this evening that the wiring connectors are interchangeable on the two. It is possible that the wiring connector for the thermotime is connected to the water temp sensor and vice versa. Can anybody tell me how to tell by the wiring, where it goes or colors or any other identifier to see if I have them crossed.

Also, the tach doesn't work nor does the clock. Coincidence or related?

By the way, the z car will not run when the wires to the ignition module are hooked up backwards............. Gotta love those PO's.

Thanks,

Leonard

From the AWFUL 1977 280Z wiring schematic in my Haynes Manual: -

Water Temperature Sensor, Black & Black wires.

Thermo Time Switch, Green & Green wires, both of which go to the Cold Start Valve terminals 45 & 46.

That's all folks, I went crossed eyed at that point:cross-eye:cross-eye

Edited by Nissanman

The tach and clock problem wouldn't be related to the thermotime/water temp senor wires being switched. Nor would the temperature gauge reading as it has it's own sensor, the one with the single bullet connector. Which ignition module do you have? If it's the matchbox on the side of the dist., then it also came from a ZX because a 77 wouldn't have had that type of dist. from the factory.

I figured out the connectors. All of the confusion comes from the fact that both connectors had black wires. At some point in the cars life, the connector to the thermotime switch had been replaced/spliced with a new one with black legs. The harness was then rewound/taped up (good looking repair). A bulge 10 inches up the loom gave suspect and sure enough, opened it up and green wires.

Thanks for the help!

PS-sblake01; took the car an auto electrical shop and found the ignition module wiring was reversed as well as the fuel injection harness. Took the e12 distributor out and put in the correct one. The tech there was the one that thought the motor was not correct for the year but thought it would be just fine. It actually runs really well, just hard to start. Thank you for your time and information.

Leonard

Moscow, Idaho

I removed the center bolt from the cranshaft, took out the six little bolts that held the 3rd pully onto the crankshaft and the pulley easily separated from the rest. I then put the center bolt back into place, torqued it to the best of my ability and away I went. I wasn't nearly as complicated as it seems to have been in a different post. Again, I am not sure specifically what motor is in this car but believe more and more that it is 82-83 zx. I do know that putting in ac or anything requiring the use of that 3rd pulley is going to cause grief.

Well it all makes since, the replaced engine was from a zx. I am tickled to know I can still put the ac in. I have a donor car that has the completed stock set up, so someday...... BTW, the car starts and runs incredibly well. I am tickled! A few little bugs, the tach and the clock mostly. When I get more time I'll fool with them.

• 2 years later...

Okay all you forum Nazis, I know that I'm bring up a thread from the dead but it pertains to my question. (And yes, I've searched.)

I've recently had to replace my thermostat housing on my '75 280z. I didn't mark which connector goes to the thermotime switch and which goes to the water temp sensor. I've tried the '75 & '76 wiring diagrams, but it's no help because the wires for both years are white/white to the thermotime and white/white to the water temp.

One of the sets of wires has a 1 inch wide strip of red tape wrapped around it near the bullet connectors. Can anyone tell me which sensor the marked set of wires should connect to?

Thank you,

... or more easily, unplug the cold-start valve, and test for continuity between that connector and the one you think is the thermotime switch connector. They should both be wired in parallel, so wire A on the thermotime should connect to wire X on the cold start, and wire B on the thermotime should connect to wire Y on the cold start. If you don't get zero-ohmish readings, then you've probably got the temp sensor plug instead -- or corroded connections! (Note here: I've just been into my harness, and I had corroded connections. ;))

Sarah,

Thanks for the advise. I tried following the wires, but it's a pretty tight mess and I didn't want to have to cut into a good harness. Testing the wires for continuity just didn't occur to me...I guess that I couldn't see the forrest for the trees.

Thanks again,