IGNORED

Trust exhaust manifold from Japan

ainokoz

Well my trip back to Japan and Okinawa was pretty good and I was able to find a few parts for the car. While there I was fortunate to find a brand new Trust exhaust manifold on clearance sale :classic: and scooped it up immediately. Seems like the old school car scene is diminishing over there as I was told this part was sitting for quite a while before I picked it up. I was also able to meet up with a local speed shop tuner in Okinawa who specialized in Z cars back in the day and he convinced me that the headers would fit a LHD car. We talked for about an hour about L engines, tuning ideas, and how it used to be...He actually had a 280ZX on the rack that he was restoring with a full-tuned engine. At one point, the guy (Tomei-san) started digging into a parts pile and came up with a rusty square-port header. It had a hole where one of the collectors came together and he was like "you can have this if you want and I'll even cut out the section where the hole is and patch it back up." It was great! All in all, it was great to go back. And here's the proof: came in just in time for Christmas!

post-8072-14150805735148_thumb.jpg

post-8072-14150805735813_thumb.jpg

post-8072-14150805736824_thumb.jpg

ohh the Fujitsubo setup is sexy as f0(k..........

are those cats or resonators?

Yeah, I checked on the Fujitsubo system when I lived in Japan, and the company sales rep said that the header wouldn't fit on a LHD Z. Last time I looked, each component runs about $800 and that's not something I want to buy just to see if it will fit. I was able to find used Trust headers from $120-$400 and would buy one as long as I can get someone to confirm that it will fit.

I'm also thinking that all the similar headers are made from one manufacturer. I brought a new full header/exhaust system back from Japan for my friend's late '70s Skyline and it came straight from the manufacturer who makes exhaust systems for a lot of companies.

And thanks for the additional info HS30-H. Knowing my luck, I'll probably end up getting a good deal on a header only to find out it won't fit.

from what i understand although the ole school scene is going away the Japanese hate i mean detest Americans taking away their classics so parts also may stem from this... thats why they probably said it wont work on a LHD

Thanks for the comments:laugh:

As far as the mufflers go, I think they're resonators.

When we spoke to a few shop owners in Japan about the reasons for the businesses going down, we mostly got the impression that there just isn't the same demand as it used to be "back in the day." Especially when you can spend as little as $5,000 over there and get a sports car or touring sedan that is already semi-tuned and puts out over 280 hp. The interest with the younger crowd doesn't seem to be there right now.

As far as the fitting goes, I'm pretty sure it does have to do with the LHD steering column more than not wanting to sell me parts. All the places I went were more than willing to sell me stuff, but warned me about the fit issues. The Fujitsubo header is way nice but does seem to protrude out a bit verses the Trust header. I also know that Kameari Engineering states in their catalog which headers will fit on LHD Z's. I just wasn't 100% sure about the Trust one.

Now I just need to find a place to get them jet-hot or ceramic coated. Do any of you have any recommendations for shops that do this in the SoCal area? I've already contacted Jet Hot directly, but am also hoping for more options.

Thanks

Congrats on the header purchase and I'm glad you had an enjoyable trip. I must admit I will feel much better once you confirm that they did fit without interference. They are configured the same as the L20 header and the Sports Option PN 14004-E4620 header. Here are the two thumbnails of mine (which does fit a LHD) and your new header side by side to make it easier to see the difference. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, post a pic when you get it installed. Good luck!

Yeah, I'll feel a whole lot better once I get 'em tried on. It would be such a big downer if not one of them fits. Although maybe a sales pitch, but the folks I bought the header from told me that they did a few LHD installs.

Also here's a pic of the muffler I got shipped in--original Trust dual setup :P. I was soo happy to be able to locate both items from one shop. It's all going down to Shinzo Auto in Irvine this weekend in order to finish up the project and get it on the road.

If you're still interested, I did pick up an extra header gasket. I'll send you a pic and dimensions and you can let me know if it will work.

post-8072-14150805757734_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I'll feel a whole lot better once I get 'em tried on.

I have no reason to doubt Tomei san's assurances, and this will be a good thread for reference in the future, to settle the question of what does or does not fit.

Also here's a pic of the muffler I got shipped in--original Trust dual setup

Very nice! These two sections of twice pipe exhaust system are something I would be very interested in aquiring for myself. Can you give me the contact information needed to find out about availability and cost?

If you're still interested, I did pick up an extra header gasket. I'll send you a pic and dimensions and you can let me know if it will work.

If the binocular gasket fits your header to twice pipes connection, it will also fit mine. PM me the cost particulars and a PayPal address if that is a suitable method of payment. I appreciate that you found one for me. Thanks!

Edited by geezer

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I'm also thinking of buying one of these trust headers for my 240z, I was also looking at the fujitsubo headers in stainless, what would be better ceramic coated or stainless?

I think I read somewhere the blue on the trust ones is ceramic coated.

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I'm also thinking of buying one of these trust headers for my 240z, I was also looking at the fujitsubo headers in stainless, what would be better ceramic coated or stainless?

I think I read somewhere the blue on the trust ones is ceramic coated.

I didn't think I was the right guy to answer your question but may be able to help point you in the right direction.

I don't know which is better. In my case I aquired an old mid '70s Trust header (didn't know what it was at the time), as part of a package deal when I bought my Z. I did send it to JetHot and had it ceramic coated on the inside and outside.

Since this thread started, I changed my ideas/plans several times, but did finally buy the Fujitsubo stainless muffler system to go with the Trust header. I'm still waiting for it to be shipped, since they are not built until ordered. If you contact RHDJapan, they will be better able to locate what you are looking for. They deal in new & used. I appreciated the nostalgic aspect of preserving the Trust header. I wasn't looking for any performance gains over any other commonly available header. The Fujitsubo muffler system finally became too irresistable for me. Their stainless header is a beautiful thing as well. You will have to decide for yourself if they are worth the asking price as well as the hefty shipping charges.

Or, you could put an ad in the classifieds. I'm sure there are a few old Trust header pipes being stored in peoples garages, or should I say sheds? :)Cheers!!

http://www.rhdjapan.com/

Edited by geezer

Thanks Geezer, I've bought from RHDjapan a few times but I didn't know they dealt with used items also. The trust headers I'm looking at are new and on special so they already have the blue ceramic coating on them which is a selling point for me as the coating isn't cheap.

I do love the fujitsubo exhaust system though, I was thinking of buying those myself but with shipping its too expensive. I've spent a fortune the last couple of months and my shell is still on a rottisorie! I just spent almost $600 on a NOS 10th anniversery compe steering wheel, I just had to have it, its not easy hiding the purchases from the missus especially when she is sitting right next to me.;)

Edited by mossy