IGNORED

Trust exhaust manifold from Japan

ainokoz

Can any one of you verify for sure that the old JDM Trust exhaust manifold will or will not fit on a LHD 240Z? Do any of you have the Trust header on your LHD car? I know there's some clearance issues for some of these manifolds but have also heard that the old Trust exhaust manifold will clear the steering column for the LHD model 240Z. I appreciate any info that may have. Thanks.

Do you have a picture or a part number for the "Trust" header? I have one that I thought was Part #14004=E4620 until I compared it with the illustration in the Sports Options Catalog for the homemarket. Now I don't know the identity of this one. It does fit in my LHD without any interference issues, with about 3/8" clearance from the steering shaft. There are pics of it in my user gallery. I have most of the complete "twice pipe" system and have recently acquired NOS stacked rear exhaust tips also. If you want I can dig up the pics I took when I did a test mockup of the header on the car.

Ok, here is an illustration from the 1973-12 HS30 Sports Option Parts catalog. It is described as #14004-E4620. I can't speak for the fitment in a LHD for this one, but I can verify the one I have, which is different, will fit.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have this photo my friend gave me, but no part number. The photo of the silver headers on the right look just like the Trust header from Japan--about 95% sure of it. And with the silver one, you say you have about 3/8" of clearance? That's what I needed to know. Thanks again for your help.

post-8072-14150803743414_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply. I have this photo my friend gave me, but no part number. The photo of the silver headers on the right look just like the Trust header from Japan--about 95% sure of it. And with the silver one, you say you have about 3/8" of clearance? That's what I needed to know. Thanks again for your help.

Yes, in post #3 the same header is shown in all 3 pics. before & after being ceramic coated. Sure looks the same as the one in your pic. Likewise I'm 95% sure it is the same and will fit a LHD. Let me know if you can find the binocular gaskets to fit these headers, shown in the Sports Option catalog pic.

240ZGL - Is this the same stacked tips you have? I like the idea that you can change out the stock "booster can" with these tips in minutes without much effort. I am replacing the original resonator with Magnaflow's 2 pipes in & 2 pipes out 14" muffler.

ainokoz - It is a good thing we left 5% wiggle room here. The header in the pic you put up is indeed Nissan part #14004-E4620, I believe. My header is a Trust and different then yours. Confusing to be sure, if you don't have both images along side each other to compare. If you look at one, then turn and look at the other, it is so easy to mistake them as being the same.

Take a look at the 4th tube from the front on your pic or the illustration in the Sports Option pic. See how this tube tucks in behind the 5th & 6th tubes. Now look at mine. The 4th tube from the front enters the collector moreso oriented to the front. I think that is the easiest eay to tell the difference. It is not noticeable without careful study. So to sum up my opinion, mine I believe is a Trust and will fit on a LHD. The one in your pic is #14004-E4620. I still don't know if it will fit in a LHD.

The last time I researched this I found the one in your pic much more common and easy to find, whereas the one I have is more unique. I have never seen another like it yet. Not even a pic.

Geezer,Yeah, I'm glad there was that 5% and that you were able to see the difference, because I couldn't. I thought for sure that your photo and the pic I had was of the Trust header. I'll be going to Japan for a couple of weeks in October and will be checking a couple of the used parts stores for a Trust or other header that looks similar to both of these. I'll just have to take a chance on the fitting. I've found some on line and am hoping they'll still be there when I get there. If I get a hold of one, I'll make sure to get the dual pipe gasket and a spare if you need one. Thanks again for your expertise on the parts.

If you start saving your coins now, by the time you go to Japan you might be able to afford this system by Fujitsubo, in stainless I believe.

Notice the similarity in design of the header. Also in the 3rd & 4th pics the header shown is actually stamped L20. This makes me wonder how many different headers were produced in a similar design with maybe minor differences such as tube diameter or consideration for installation on different engines, in different models, or even a LHD. If I was a betting man, I would bet the one labeled L20, #14004-E4620 and the one I have were all produced by the same manufacturer.

There does not seem to be much interest in these 30 plus year old exhaust systems, because of the extra weight of them and perhaps the better performance of the newer designs on the market.

Thanks for the offer of picking up a binocular gasket for me. I would appreciate it and will gladly reimburse you.

One suggestion...before going to Japan take some measurements and make a template to gauge steering shaft clearance. If you need help doing that I can explain how it's done.

One thing to remember when talking about Japanese aftermarket exhaust manifolds for the 'L-gata' sixes is that they were made for many more models than just the S30 and S130-series Z cars.

When buying used manifolds on their own, you could very easily be buying something designed to fit a Skyline, for example..........

Yeah, I checked on the Fujitsubo system when I lived in Japan, and the company sales rep said that the header wouldn't fit on a LHD Z. Last time I looked, each component runs about $800 and that's not something I want to buy just to see if it will fit. I was able to find used Trust headers from $120-$400 and would buy one as long as I can get someone to confirm that it will fit.

I'm also thinking that all the similar headers are made from one manufacturer. I brought a new full header/exhaust system back from Japan for my friend's late '70s Skyline and it came straight from the manufacturer who makes exhaust systems for a lot of companies.

And thanks for the additional info HS30-H. Knowing my luck, I'll probably end up getting a good deal on a header only to find out it won't fit.