IGNORED

Removing the Valve cover for Polishing

Well i have pretty reasonable mechanical skills. I wasn't going to adjust the valve's myself, although I was going to polish the cover.

Are gaskets for the 280 pretty easy to get, or are they special order? (curious if advanced auto parts carries them)

Well i have pretty reasonable mechanical skills. I wasn't going to adjust the valve's myself, although I was going to polish the cover.

Are gaskets for the 280 pretty easy to get, or are they special order? (curious if advanced auto parts carries them)

http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=FEL&MfrPartNumber=VS26070A

not stocked in my neck of the woods, but $9 and one day away(ordered before 2pm.

Will

My Kragen (may be Shucks or Checker in your area) has it in stock. Be sure to print out the description from the web site and take it with you because in the stores the prices are generally higher and they'll do a price adjustment if you bring that page with you.

To polish the cover , I started with 1000 wet/dry with kerosene then went to 1500 grit. then polishing compound sticks I bought at Sears. of all places. I did the domes on my S Us as well.

Some one sells neoprene gaskets instead of cork. If you can fine them this is the way to go , they don't seep oil. I don't know a source . Hopefully some one out there will come up with one.

Gary

Here are a few shots of a valve cover semi-polished, done to a medium/soft shine. Took it down to 1000 grit, then several passes with Mothers aluminum polish by hand. I did not want extreme shine, rather a nice bright soft lustre, therefore I stopped at 1000. Taking another pass or two up to 1500 will provide a more brilliant reflection as I hope you can contrast when other pictures are provided.

Please see my picture gallery for a lot more examples of the type of refurbishing that can be done to these cam covers. (http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=9676) Time consuming, yes, but I really enjoy doing them. I've also been experimenting with media blasting with IMHO very attractive results. I am considering doing this part-time as a service (more so the media blasting as pictured in the gallery).

post-9676-1415080374565_thumb.jpg

post-9676-1415080374618_thumb.jpg

post-9676-14150803746688_thumb.jpg