IGNORED

Konig Wheel Issue

barth4567

I just got my new Konig Rewinds for my 1972 240. I ordered from them factory direct from a dealer friend of mine. They are 15" wheels. I do know alot of people run them. Here is the problem/opportunity. On the front wheels the center cap is hitting the dust cover and will not go on. Pulled the dust cover and the spindle nut is almost out to the end. So that means a shorter dust cover will not help. Will talk to Konig tommorrow and see if they make a taller center cap. Any of you guys run into this problem? I really love the wheels and new tires, but this kinda bums me out. :surprised Waited 4 weeks to get them. I have seen alot of posts on Konigs but never have seen this issue come up. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance. John

I looked harder and found the answer I needed.:stupid: However it would seem that Konig would make them a few millimters taller so that you did not have to mash them flat or remove the dust cover. Aaaaah that would be just to simple to do would it not? And at least say something about it. Live and learn I guess. I am going to call them tommorrow, but I will get a nights sleep first.:)

If you talk to the folks at MSA they will tell you to gently bang in the dust cover with your favorite hammer. That gains only a couple of millemeters but is all that is needed. You most likely won't need to remove the dust cover. I did this with my '74 260 and it worked just fine. I offered this solution before on this site and it did not set well with the purists that don't like the words "hammer" and "Z car" in the same sentence.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

after beating on the dust cap, you may have to remove the wheel from the hub and put the cap on...then resintall the wheel. seems mine needed to go that way, because there isn't any clearance for the cap tabs between the hub and rim.

basically: remove the wheel, beat down the dust cover, pop cap onto rim, reinstall wheel :)

• 2 years later...

Been a couple years since this topic was discussed and was curious if any new solutions have been discovered. I just got my Rewinds mounted today and called MSA concerning the cap - same answer from them as two years ago -flatten the center cap a bit.

I had the usual and expected hub cap problem with mine, but on one side, there was also an interference problem with the hub. I had to grind a small amount of metal from the hub casting around the wheel opening area to get clearance to allow the tabs on the cap to both pass through the hole and expand enough to catch on the other side.

The amount you have to deform the grease cover to gain the depth you need is miniscule, the real problem for me was the clearance with the hub to get it to seat.

Putting the cap on first then mounting the wheel will result in broken tabs. Ask me how I know.....

I did the hammer thing on my 1971 240Z with the 15" Rewinds and it still didn't clear. In a previous thread someone said they had just left the dust covers off since the center cover on the Rewind wheels were so close. I've done that and have driven several hundred miles and the grease has not gone anywhere.