IGNORED

'83ZX 5 Speed = Floor cutting on '71 240?

SSuspect

Was the number I sent out yesterday the same that I sent earlier?

Yep - it was the same. He accidentally deleted my first message.

Talked to him a while ago - all is GREAT! :D

On the 1970-1971 Z's, you'll find that the 1972-1973 consoles will work with the later 5-speeds so that you don't have to modify your early consoles.

I was wondering about that Roger! Thank you! I have 2 of the early consoles. We'll get everything installed and see how it all plays our. That may be a great option!

Thanks,

Tim

If you can get the R180 4.11, do it! IT is lighter and you won't have to monkey around with more conversion parts. I just put one in and it took me almost a year to find one. IT makes the car really quick.

Marty

SCORE!!! I finally linked up with him and IT IS MINE! He wants the 3:90 R200 setup from the donor ZX and I get the 4:11 R180 diff in trade. WooHoo! Saves me some swap $ and gets me a more "fun" combo (5 speed and 4:11's). This is getting VERY interesting!

Now it is looking like the drivetrain will be done before the interior! I was hoping to ge the interior done first "while" I was working ont he drivetrain! :stupid:

As for the inner shift boot, I tried to use the original but it just bunched up and held the shift lever up in 3rd and 5th.

I ended up using a later (72 and up) shift boot and drilling my own holes to mount it.

(Watch out, the brake and fuel lines run next to the shifter opening on the passenger side of the car.)

Oh, and installing the shift lever is a trick. I was never able to drive the dowel pin out with the transmission fully installed. The times I did it I removed and installed the shift lever with the transmission under the car and then raised the back end into the floor opening with the shifter in place. (A major good time was had by all... :tapemouth )

As for the inner shift boot, I tried to use the original but it just bunched up and held the shift lever up in 3rd and 5th.

I ended up using a later (72 and up) shift boot and drilling my own holes to mount it.

(Watch out, the brake and fuel lines run next to the shifter opening on the passenger side of the car.)

Oh, and installing the shift lever is a trick. I was never able to drive the dowel pin out with the transmission fully installed. The times I did it I removed and installed the shift lever with the transmission under the car and then raised the back end into the floor opening with the shifter in place. (A major good time was had by all... :tapemouth )

Thanks Walter! I'll take all of the pointers that I can get.

It always cracks me up when I hear all of the little "quirks" that various kinds of cars have. It is the same thing with the Impala - "bend this to the left while rotating the back of of the crossmember downward"... "jack up the right front only, it allows JUST enough room to get a ratchet in there"... ROFL