IGNORED

scrap law,s... HELP!

silvia

hi im a newbie, however i have always loved jap cars old and new and my dad use to own a 260z when i was younger. i need some help and advise.

i have just found a datsun 240z with a 260z engine (straight six) in a scrap yard and i would love to make a project car out of it so i went in and asked him how much he wanted for it and he said he thinks he cant sell it because the councile re-possesed it and put it in the scrap yard to be CRUSHED....now in my eyes thats wrong, you cant just crush a car like that?

does anyone know any loop holes in the law or any way to save this fantastic car?

many thanks

Matt

Others can help you out here but in my opinion must folks who work in

those kinds of places are pretty cool to deal with, so if all else fails have

him set the car aside for you untill you can get possesion of it.

Even if you have to give him a little extra

coin for his trouble it might be worth it :bandit:.

~Z~

Hi Silvia

In the UK this is sadly (often) the case.

I visit scrap yards through my job , and visit one that undertakes such contracts on behalf of the DVLA and Local Authorities.

The cars are generally picked up because they are on the road for not having road tax, and therefore illegal. They are taken under either DVLA or local auth. powers to a suitably licenced disposal facility - i.e. scrapyard.

The scrapyard has to destroy them if they are not claimed within a certain period , and they dont technically own the vehicle. If the owner reclaims them within the set period they have to pay the scrap man a fee for looking after them!

The scrap man will probably have to demonstrate to the authorities that he has done his job by returning to them a certificate of destruction - once this is done he can claim his fee and the car cannot be re-registered (?)

I think thats about right.

http://www.cartakeback.com/en/abandoned-vehicles.asp

We have similar laws here. That's why I didn't really get WingZrO's response. Doesn't matter how 'cool' the people that work in the junkyards are, if there is an order from the DMV (somewhat equivalent to your DVLA, I'm sure) or some other county or city authority, it has to be scrapped. Those cars that fall in that catagory here aren't even made available to the public at the junkyards here.

im so frustraighted, a car like that cannot just be destroyed and waighed in, its a peace of motor history. it looks just like yours sblake01 with the slatted back windo and very aggresive spoiler....ownly its white.

im going back there tomorrow and going to try and get the number of whoever thay deal with from the council GRRRRR i could kill that council man:dead:

right i have just been back there and thay wont give me the council number that thay deal with as it should have been destroyed already but thay want to sneeky sell some bits off it so i asked and it sounds like thay will sell it me in bits if you no what i mean but it cant ever go back on the road.

We have similar laws here. That's why I didn't really get WingZrO's response. Doesn't matter how 'cool' the people that work in the junkyards are, if there is an order from the DMV (somewhat equivalent to your DVLA, I'm sure) or some other county or city authority, it has to be scrapped. Those cars that fall in that catagory here aren't even made available to the public at the junkyards here.

My bad :) I was thinking in terms of lein sell cars.

Been test driving some to have a "Towyard Hero" till Ruby's done at the shop.

Soon as I made up my mind to buy a hopped up '85 Honda Prelude,

the enigine started SMOKING LOL :cheeky:

right i have just been back there and thay wont give me the council number that thay deal with as it should have been destroyed already but thay want to sneeky sell some bits off it so i asked and it sounds like thay will sell it me in bits if you no what i mean but it cant ever go back on the road.

I don't know about your local laws for one but

there has to be a way you can get it catergorized as a

Historic Motor Vehicle of some sorts.

That would be as bad as crushing a '69 Camaro.

The same clowns who would crush a Honda for illegal street racing I seriously

doubt would crush a '69 Camaro :pirate:

(Anyone wanna chime on that?)

If a car is really rare, a classic epecially sports cars,

a one of a certain low number like 1 of 300 built,

1 of 25 like Mopars or any prototype car for that matter, I find it hard to

believe a governing body would destroy it.

Like you said in so many words, "Historicle Signifigance".

If you find the council people in the phone books or via internet then you

could plead your case to how important these cars is, historicly speaking.

And don't seattle for the display only not to be driven deal.

Stay persistent and if the yard is going to sell it in peices don't let them cut

the body up, have them sell the shell as a whole if possible.

Keep tying to find those loop holes and ask some folks in the

appropriate government and "DVLA" bodies also for some help and information.

Search for the proper websites and ask them with emial for some expert advice,

what your trying to do has probably already been done before but

not much known about to the public.

If you don't get an answer you want or a person who doesn't know then

keep asking, even in the same places, untill you find someone who does.

If the council won't help then take you case as high up as it can go or to

who ever is ultimately in charge at least.

Laws get made and changed for a reason, and this is one of those reasons.

If you really want to save this car and drive it street legal then this is

where YOU have to step up if it gets to that point.

Others can help you more than me of course but

Stay Persistant!

~Z~

You could try getting them to sell it to you the by telling them that you will rebirth it using another cars chassis number (from a wrecked z), so that it wont be traced back to them. Let them drill out the chassis numbers. Then all you will have to do is hunt around for a wrecked car to get the chassis number off.

Down-under they resell the impounded cars. I bought one once (an abandoned mazda 808 coupe) for $15 and fixed it up and drove it around for a few years, then sold it.