IGNORED

All out of ideas! Please help me!

Z-UgOxSlaViaN-Z

hahah I am not embarrassed to call myself a noob. Actually it feels pretty good! And by good I mean only that I am getting that much closer to being accepted as one of your own. I would much rather already be to that point now, but you got to start somewhere and at least the first step of admission is already past me now. All down-hill from here right? ha

You guys have great ideas and I really appreciate the help! THANK YOU! I will give these a try the next opportunity I have. Possibly tomorrow after work. I am guessing that when sealing around the "wind-screen" as you would call it, I should probably do my best to clean the dirt and whatever else might be in the grooves out, right?

Oh, and when adjusting the doors depth of closure, would I be adjusting the piece attached on the door or the piece attached on the body? I would guess body but I could easily be wrong. prominent too... :)

WOW! THANK YOU! That's so great! You know... I bet that is it! Question... What should I use to seal around the cowl? Obviously something rust, water resistant/proof but I am looking for an exact name if any of you has one.

I am going to go look at this right now! Ill update you on my progress! I freaking hope this is it! Would be soo nice to have it figured out!

- Matt

Okay... So I just got back from checking out the possible water leak location you suggested. That's not it! So I started ripping into the heater fan and pulled it down to check for rusting trough the cowl, to the inside, and found nothing. I filled the cowl with tons of water to see if I could get it to show on the floors and after a few minutes I had stopped to check my progress, there was not even a drop. I got mad and threw it all back together then continued to check possible locations for the leaks. The only places I could get water to show on the inside were directly on the driver-side window, and around the passenger side door seal.

Actually, the way the water formed on the driver side floor was much like it does during a hard rain. I am going to see if I cant get the window seal replaced in the next couple weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could get my doors to close more evenly? It looks as though they aren't touching the seal but in a few spots. I tried your dollar bill trick and didn't find the slightest bit of resistance throughout both sides entire seal. I am going nuts!

I think the previous owner was up to no good! As I was checking for breaks in the metal for water leaks, while laying on the driver-side floor, I found that the cable that runs to the total mileage section of the odometer had a loose piece. It is a 1 1/2 inch piece of metal that surrounds a portion of that cable that is suppose to be screwed onto the closest point of the odometer. It definitely wasn't... It was hanging freely! Weird huh? I'm going to get to the bottom of this!

- Matt

One other thing you should check. Have someone pour water around the windshield gasket while you get down and check behind the kickpad. It is common for a hole to rust through behind the windshield gasket and then the water will travel down the inside of the A-post all the way to the floor.

Thanks for the idea! I really think the only way I am actually going to figure this thing out is to fix each noticeable problem aka: leak at a time and then go from there. If that problem doesn't work, obviously I haven't fixed it yet... So I will try again and again and again until all of the planets have finally aligned and pigs and cars began to fly and even Jesus himself has once again walked the planet, then, just then... Maybe... I WILL HAVE DONE IT!

Oh my gosh! Gives me goose bumps just thinking about it... <--- Note: Sarcasm

I don't think I can get excited just yet because I believe that there isn't just one source of the water problem. Like above, maybe a couple or more. In time though... In time...

I think I might have a leak in the inter-cooler under the dash for my air conditioning too. As I was playing with the fan earlier this evening, I could see a residue lined in some of the air duct piping located next to the unit and around some of the surrounding areas. I would assume to be antifreeze? Since I have owned the vehicle, I don't believe that the air condition has ever worked... It is an air conditioner isn't it?!

- Matt

...I think the previous owner was up to no good! As I was checking for breaks in the metal for water leaks, while laying on the driver-side floor, I found that the cable that runs to the total mileage section of the odometer had a loose piece. It is a 1 1/2 inch piece of metal that surrounds a portion of that cable that is suppose to be screwed onto the closest point of the odometer. It definitely wasn't... It was hanging freely! Weird huh? I'm going to get to the bottom of this!

- Matt

Are you referring to the Trip Odometer Reset Cable?

Otherwise the "Total Mileage"/Odometer is driven by the Speedometer Cable, and not by a separate cable that can be loosened in order for "no good" to come about.

FWIW

E

Thanks for the idea! I really think the only way I am actually going to figure this thing out is to fix each noticeable problem aka: leak at a time and then go from there. If that problem doesn't work, obviously I haven't fixed it yet... So I will try again and again and again until all of the planets have finally aligned and pigs and cars began to fly and even Jesus himself has once again walked the planet, then, just then... Maybe... I WILL HAVE DONE IT!

Oh my gosh! Gives me goose bumps just thinking about it... <--- Note: Sarcasm

I don't think I can get excited just yet because I believe that there isn't just one source of the water problem. Like above, maybe a couple or more. In time though... In time...

I think I might have a leak in the inter-cooler under the dash for my air conditioning too. As I was playing with the fan earlier this evening, I could see a residue lined in some of the air duct piping located next to the unit and around some of the surrounding areas. I would assume to be antifreeze? Since I have owned the vehicle, I don't believe that the air condition has ever worked... It is an air conditioner isn't it?!

- Matt

Sounds like you could have leaking hoses or a leaking heater core or heater valve. That would be anitfreeze if you have antifreeze in your cooling system. At any rate, it would be a leak and it would collect on the floor most likely in the passenger footwell. I don't know if your car has a/c. Some did and some didn't. It also sounds like you need to attain more knowlege of cars, in general, as well as Datsuns specifically. If you use the incorrect terminology in describing the components you're looking at, it's hard for us to understand what you mean. Pictures would be of more help in this case.

...but at least you are getting in there and actually looking around trying to find the problem and solving it, not just ignoring the advice that has been offered (like some do) and wondering why things seem to get worse. Progress is progress, even if it is slow.

Stephen is right, pictures really do shed light on some of these problems, and can help all of us offer prudent advice immensely.

edit: pun not intended, really. LOL