IGNORED

How much for paint

Roundy

I am a real new to this stuff. Have 76z and want to get a full paint job. Anyone have any idea what this will cost? Want to use a non stock color like a black cherry red color. I'm just looking for a ballpark figure:stupid:

Roundy, your best bet is to look around and talk to some of the custom auto body paints shops. There are a lot here in the Lynnwood area, and if they don't know, they can point you in the right direction. I know when I was talking to some of them, a "ballpark figure" was 2500 to 6000, depending on the type of paint I was going to use, and any body work needing done. And that is mostly labor. Stay away from Maaco, for you get what you pay for from them, literally.

Justin

You're talking interior, engine compartment, jambs, exterior in a hot rod red? First of all the materials alone can run a grand easy and the labor can be huge depending on how much hidden rust repair work needs to be done. Labor to dissaemble and the labor to make everything flat and straight (correctly) could be a couple hundred man hours plus reassembly.

I'm guessing an easy $10 - $15 grand.

Finding someone you'd be happy with and who'd even take a look at such a project will be the real test. The average body shop can roll many times the value of your job in and out the door in the time it would take to do your job.....

Bruce Palmer

info@zerorust.com

My job included, door/trunk jambs, removal of glass, refitted with new rubber everywhere, bodywork, rust repair (fitting in new metal), new logos and trim, and restoring back to #306 silver.

$3,700

Initial quote was for $3,300.

But, everyone else will tell you that it will depend on the extent of work and time. I am happy with my job, but it was not a complete tear-down. I suppose location may be a factor too. Good luck!

Roundy, SNIP... Stay away from Maaco, for you get what you pay for from them, literally.

Justin

I can not agree with this underlined statement one of our members owns one of the Maaco shops and his work is pristine.

You get what you pay for in all the shops. That is why we shop price and quality. Match what we want with the price we can afford.

First off there are two totally different things here. There are body shops, that normally do collision work. Then there are restoration shops, that specialize in restorations. If you are looking for a pristine job, are willing to wait and spend a lot of money, then go to a restoration shop. If you want a quick, cheap job that will look better than what you've got, then a body shop is fine. Very few body shops quality work. They're used to taking short cuts because most of their work is done through insurance companies that pay them squat to fix cars. In my whole area, there is only ONE body shop that does good work, so good ones are few and far between.

Just so you know, doing it "right" costs a ton and takes a lot of time. I have over 20 hours in just DAing the paint off my car.

a7dz, most of the work I've seen from Maaco has been crap. My Z, thank god I rescued it, because the PO was going to take it to Maaco to have the hole under the battery and in the firewall fixed, and they were going to put in fiberglass instead of new metal. I'm sure our memeber here that owns his own shop does a pristine job on his car, and maybe others, but the experiences I've seen from friends who had work done from Maaco has been crap, and they paid for ther job as much as a higher quality shop.

Justin

I'll actually have to agree with A7DZ on this one. It's all outlined in the statement ("You get what you pay for")

I too have seen many a crappy job come out of Maaco and Earl Shibe BUT...... I have also seen some beautiful jobs come out of the same building.

The nice ones were the ones who actually forked out real cash and weren't looking for that "Just paint the damn thing so I can sell it" Paint job.

The statement holds true for about 80% of the shops in question. Some shops just plain old SUCK. but most will give ya what ya pay for. I was given a $4500 estimate on repairing all the dings and a top quality paint job on my 70'. And that was just a rough estimate on a walk around the Z.

I got a $1500 estimate on repairing the damage and painting the new hood after that kid backed into me, from one shop. The other shop gave me a $3500 price and the same repairs but they included the high price for top quality work, baking the paint on, and rebuilding my cowl induction hood.

I quess it all comes down to "How high do you want the quality to be, and how much are you willing to pay for that quality work?" Maaco can do a great job, but like any good shop, you gotta pay for it. Some shops won't do "quick, easy and cheap" But Maaco will cause there is money in it. You won't pay a "Big Shop" $300 to install an alternator but you'll fork out $50 for the mechanic next door to do it on his time. And he does quality work as well as quick, easy and cheap.

See what I mean?

Dave.

I've paid Maaco $450 to paint a car and I've paid $4,000 for a body shop to do the same. Both lasted years and looked great during the time I owned the vehicles here in Phoenix Arizona. Like all of my vehicles, I cleaned, polished and waxed the paint on a regular basis.

With the Maaco job, I removed all of the trim and then did the body-work myself. The panels were fairly straight so I didn't have that much filler work to do but I did the skim coat, guide coat routine just to be sure.

If you have the facilities, tools and experience, try prepping it yourself then consider taking it to Maaco. Learning how to do acceptable body-work is achieveable and there are many references available for the DIY.

This is one way to get good results and save some money.

Good luck with your efforts.

Bruce