IGNORED

Transmission ID help needed

Kronoss

I have a Datsun transmission on the shelf that came as a spare with a race car I purchased last year. It's supposedly an actual Datsun comp 5-speed, and I'd like some help in verifying firstly that it really is a comp trans, and if so, which gearset it has.

The tooth count on the mainshaft gears (from the clutch end of the bellhousing) are: 21T, 26T, 28T and 33T. The countershaft assembly (machined as one piece if that's significant) gears are: 32T, 28T, 20T and 15T

I couldn't locate a serial number anywhere on the case.

I can post some pics if that will help.

–Thanks

Does it have steel syncros? Is it an A box or B box. When it was together, was first gear up (where most first gears are) or down where second usually is?

Photos would help. Or you can PM me and I can see what documentation I can find to help you.

If it is a roadster box you will not want to run it in your Z car because it can't handle the HP and torque from a Z car motor.

Hey guys,

Here are a couple of pics of the "mystery trans".

The gear tooth counts in black are for the mystery trans, the yellow counts are from pg 146 of the classic "How to Modify Datsun" manual which shows an exploded view of a standard 5 speed (this assumes I'm interpreting the parts drawing correctly) and the corresponding gear tooth counts for the stock 5 speed.

I verified my counts several times, and it appears they are different than a stock gearset.

I'm fairly certain this is not a "dog leg" style gearbox, as a quick shifter install seemed to indicate a normal 5 speed pattern.

As you can see this unit is not exactly ready to run, and had "needs syncros" written on the case. The shafts do spin freely though.

If it's a close ratio box, I'm sure someone out there could certainly use it for spare parts, or rebuild to live again. I'm running a G-force T5 in my car, so I really have no use for this one. I've held on to it just in case it really was a CR box, and wanted to verify it as genuine before deciding exactly what to do with it.

–Thanks again

post-5148-14150802187729_thumb.jpg

post-5148-14150802188382_thumb.jpg

Hi Kronoss,

Your transmission is not a roadster box, and is a "B" box. The gear cluster looks to be a stock configuration with brass syncros, so it is not a comp box or a close ratio gearbox.

I suspect that what you have is a fairly stock gearbox. I know you were hoping for more.

Sorry,

Ron

Anyone, anyone...Bueller?

I searched every thread I could think of here and on HybridZ to find some sort of ID guide for these transmissions...but perhaps this really is just a plain old 5 speed, or one of the "diesel Maxima" versions.I have nothing on hand here to compare it to.

Do all Datsun comp transmissions have the "monkey motion" shift mechanism?...as this one doesn't.

It's currently taking up valuable shop space, and will be destined for the dumpster if no answers can be found.

–Thanks again

Anyone, anyone...Bueller?

I searched every thread I could think of here and on HybridZ to find some sort of ID guide for these transmissions...but perhaps this really is just a plain old 5 speed, or one of the "diesel Maxima" versions.I have nothing on hand here to compare it to.

The Z Car Home Page http://ZHome.com

SEE: http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/69-83TrannyShifterDrawing.jpg

Do all Datsun comp transmissions have the "monkey motion" shift mechanism?...as this one doesn't.

No - there were both Type A and Type B Competition boxes. Both had the steel synchro's. The Type B tranny's came as either direct drive or over drive.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Kronoss,

If your trans had steel syncros in a B box you would want to look further as it could be a Nissan Comp box, but, I can tell by looking at the cluster that it appears to be a relatively stock cluster. That being said, it could be an early OEM 280Z 5 spd which, of the stock tranmissions, have pretty good ratios and are in some demand.

Hope that helps.

R